Hogsfan

First ribeye on the KK

Nice ribeye sear.

I see you now have your side shelves. Glad to see those catch up with the KK.

I don't have a basket splitter but I believe there is basically 2 parts. One piece to split the firebox in half and one piece to block the air from going up the unused side. Are you saying you have a third piece?

Hopefully somebody who has the basket splitter can chime in.

• Like 1

Do you have other pieces?

No. Just those. Just in case this is clearly obvious to everyone but me, I'll tell you what I did. I put the center vertical divider in, I used the solid stainless half moon to block airflow on the non-charcoal side and I put one of the half moon wire grates on the other side to raise the charcoal. closer to the meat. 

Clearly I'm (mentally...not literally) missing something because there is an extra piece (the other half of the wire half moon) that I don't know what to do with. I'm clearly not connecting the dots on this.  Can someone help me out?

Thanks in advance.

A wild guess on my part since these two wire pieces do not come with the fire basket divider but do these two pieces go together to make a third grill level just above the fire basket, one where you cook indirect and the other direct? In this scenario the solid half moon would not be used.

A wild guess on my part since these two wire pieces do not come with the fire basket divider but do these two pieces go together to make a third grill level just above the fire basket, one where you cook indirect and the other direct? In this scenario the solid half moon would not be used.

I would go with MacKenzie those two grills sit on top of the charcoal basket for cooking on.

Nope. 

It's a third option for using the basket splitter - you can split the entire basket horizontally (don't use the blocking plate or vertical divider), giving you heat for the whole grill area, but only using half a basket of charcoal, but raising it up higher to be closer to the sear grate. This if for those times where you want to sear a bunch of steaks, but don't want to blow through a full basket of charcoal to do it. I've never used mine, since I've never had to cook more that 3 or 4 steaks at once, which all fit on the half side option. 

Nope. 

It's a third option for using the basket splitter - you can split the entire basket horizontally (don't use the blocking plate or vertical divider), giving you heat for the whole grill area, but only using half a basket of charcoal, but raising it up higher to be closer to the sear grate. This if for those times where you want to sear a bunch of steaks, but don't want to blow through a full basket of charcoal to do it. I've never used mine, since I've never had to cook more that 3 or 4 steaks at once, which all fit on the half side option. 

Thanks Tony. That makes sense.