tony b

Trader Joe's Tri Tip

Trader Joe's has some very nice pre-marinated meats for grilling. Tonight's supper was a Santa Maria style Tri Tip. One of my favs! 

Roasted on the indirect side of the basket splitter at 350F on the lower grate with a big chunk of red oak. Target IT was 125F. Sorry for the dark pics, cell phone didn't flash??

post-975-0-78221000-1449105980_thumb.jpg

Then over to the direct side for the sear.

post-975-0-27551700-1449106043_thumb.jpg

Resting while I got all the sides together.

post-975-0-77258700-1449106121_thumb.jpg

Hit the target of medium rare.

post-975-0-50143000-1449106149_thumb.jpg

Money shot. 

post-975-0-95071100-1449106172_thumb.jpg

I mistimed the broccoli and it was a bit overcooked. The twice baked spud was done with some salt preserved chives, tip courtesy of MacKenzie!! 

Thanks, All!

Closest Trader Joe's to me is 150 miles (West Des Moines), but I almost always hit the one up when visiting family in Bloomington, MN and this past visit to see a buddy in Downers Grove, IL. The TJ is only like a mile from his house. 2 more cases of $3 Chuck and more meat!! Freezer is overflowing right now! 

Great Cook..

A well marbled Tri Tip is hands down my favorite meat/flavor on the cow.. Rather cook and eat them over than any steak, any day..

I'm regularly told the Waygu Tri Tips I serve are better or equally amazing as any beef my guests have ever eaten anywhere period and I have some guests who are very well traveled and eaten at the most respected eateries worldwide.

And YUP that makes me absolutely beam with pride..

• Like 1