tinyfish

Steaks Ribs and Baked Beans

Had a busy day today. I meet with Jon B, Sue, Rak and Ryan for lunch to start my day and it was a great time.

Before I left for lunch I put some back ribs on Dexter to eat during the week. The ribs are dry I forgot the sauce. post-2313-0-40014600-1453072834_thumb.jppost-2313-0-64175600-1453072850_thumb.jppost-2313-0-57538400-1453072868_thumb.jp post-2313-0-20353000-1453073899_thumb.jp

I'm still not decided which dish to enter???

Last of my cooks was the NY steak. I cooked these reversed seared served with MacKenzie scalloped potatoes, carrots and rappini.

post-2313-0-44028300-1453074079_thumb.jppost-2313-0-58835800-1453074111_thumb.jppost-2313-0-35173500-1453074126_thumb.jp

Well thats all folks.post-2313-0-49181400-1453073879_thumb.jp

Everything looks really good.

My opinion on that veggie dish (not that I really want you to win - LOL) but the bowl is a little too green and doesn't give enough contrast to really make the dish pop. IMHO - but go ahead and enter it - LOL

The DO picture has better contrast.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Edited by ckreef

Everything looks really good.

My opinion on that veggie dish (not that I really want you to win - LOL) but the bowl is a little too green and doesn't give enough contrast to really make the dish pop. IMHO - but go ahead and enter it - LOL

The DO picture has better contrast.

Thanks Charles.

So much to learn. Not that I thought about the bowl but that was the only one to chose from. We're in the middle of getting ready to move so everything is packed up.

Thanks Charles.

So much to learn. Not that I thought about the bowl but that was the only one to chose from. We're in the middle of getting ready to move so everything is packed up.

I actually think a lot about plates and bowls, my biggest problem is I need to go buy a bunch of different ones so I have them to match with the food being presented.

Fun lunch today, always great to meet up with new friends!

I think the green bowl is more pleasing to my eye.

Yes the green is generally more pleasing to the eye but doesn't contrast right with beans IMO.

A white bowl with the beans, the white sour cream (?) and the green leaf would have popped out at you especially the green leaf with a white bowl background. Just like I try never to put orange shrimp on a red plate because they blend in and give no contrast. Same concept as putting something crunchy on something creamy - contrasting textures to the palate.

When serving the family anything works. For the challenge cooks some voters may never look at the cook thread so you have to make the best of the picture. Many times I went back the next day and looked at my picture and realize what I screwed up from a picture stand point.

Edited by ckreef

Yea I know and it's for the awesome knife prize - eeeekkk, what was I thinking? - LOL

Nah I like tinyfish, it's all good. But note I did have this discussion on the KK forum and not on Guru. In past challenges there have been some entries that were good cooks but didn't do so well, I believe because they had really bad plating and a really bad picture so they weren't as pleasing to the eye as they could have been. It should be all about the cook but reality says the picture does make a difference.

To be honest, that's why I don't bother entering those things (granted, I did do our pizza challenge here for sh!ts & giggles). An entry can look great, but be totally inedible. You do know that food stylists use things like shaving cream to simulate whipped cream, etc. for their photo shoots?

To be honest, that's why I don't bother entering those things (granted, I did do our pizza challenge here for sh!ts & giggles). An entry can look great, but be totally inedible. You do know that food stylists use things like shaving cream to simulate whipped cream, etc. for their photo shoots?

I hear what you are saying but the 4 of us are having a good time with it. You should have came along for the journey, another KK'er would have been awesome.