ckreef

Mini Fattie Test Cook

This is a test cook for next month's Fattie challenge on the Guru so bosco, tinyfish and cschaaf, close your eyes - LOL

My idea was to make mini Fatties that could be put in a hoagie bun and ate like a brat. Figured I would need to test this out first.

I started by spreading out hamburger meat nice and thin on some plastic wrap. Add a small strip of filling. This one was sausage, pepperoni and parmesan cheese.

07216f0eb2db2366541338d53701c0ed.jpg

Using the plastic wrap I carefully rolled it up until it was just closed. Cut the roll off and pinch it closed.

deabca26e3eee83a4c595b72aa3ea914.jpg

I made two more. Ham/spinach and Sausage/spinach/Feta cheese.

242fe29f12a2cee2f5ba821bb2de9ec9.jpg

fdcb606f89552a8c072cc17d591a6bf5.jpg

I stuck them in the freezer for a bit so they were easier to work with. Here they are out off the freezer, wrapped with bacon and ready to go.

1e585964b09f9b42849d0d17d1c3eeab.jpg

Cooking on the grill.

2992e58d4e172179c7bc32a84b01e28b.jpg

Let's take a peak on the inside.

4fb33f333fc2150e92a7528610b0c5c1.jpg

These were off the chain good. The family loved them. Everyone got the filling they liked. This will become a regular cook at the Bistro. There is a tweak or two for the actual challenge cook but the concept is sound. I also have a few ideas how I will do the final presentation.

OK bosco, tinyfish and cschaaf, you can open your eyes now - LOL

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Like your idea of putting it in the freezer to make it easier to work with. Thanks for sharing.

I gotta stop looking at this website when it's lunch time!

These were small enough with such a thin hamburger wrap (around the stuffing) that I was afraid I would break them apart trying to get the bacon wrapped around them. 30 minutes in the freezer on some parchment paper and no problems wrapping the bacon.

those look great buddy!!! they will be a nice entry!!!

I have my idea ready to go. Expect to see it posted tomorrow!!!

now you have me doubting my entry....

Don't doubt your entry, you always post great entries. Will be waiting to see the post.

I won't be ready to do the official cook thread until the upcoming weekend at the earliest. I just needed a test cook to figure out if my idea was even feasible.

I did my official challange cook. I won't bore you with the details as I used the same process as above.  Here is the 3 I made:

Hawke's special - stuffed with cubed ham/chopped olives, seasoned with Pookie G's Season All and served with lettuce, tomato, cucumbers and olives. 

Italian - stuffed with sausage/Ricotta, seasoned with Italian seasonings and served with a marinara sauce and mozzarella. Put under the broiler for a few moments  to melt the cheese. 

Greek - stuffed with Feta/spinach/olives, seasoned with a lemon herb seasoning and served with lettuce, cucumbers and a Greek dressing. 

All were served on a hoagie bun. I thought I would like the Italian best but my favorite was the Greek. I didn't  taste the Hawke's Special as he wasn't going to give up his food without a fight - LOL 

MFCi.thumb.jpg.0292a8533fae0314aea986f16