ckreef

McCormick Grill Mates

For those who haven't tried these yet. McCormick makes a bunch of different seasonings and marinades that come in a single use packet. They are cheap and the marinades only require you to add oil, water and vinegar with other substitution ideas possible.

This is only a selection of the flavors they have. I haven't tried one yet I didn't like. Gives a nice flavor boost especially on the fast weeknight cooks where there just isn't time for a more involved recipe.

If you haven't already give them a try.

87d186c996d7768661eefe2bbe5422b7.jpg

Last night we made Smokey Ranchero pork chops. First time trying that one and Grill Mates scores again. Used 1/2 to marinate the chops for an hour in the fridge. Did a direct fast, hot sear followed by indirect at about 325*. Used the second half of the marinade to baste the chops along the way. Another easy and fast weeknight cook.

bb784247a8597208bf118340b2d15ff7.jpg

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

I’ve come to like making my own rubs and spice mixtures. In the long run, it’s cheaper than the prepackaged mixes, and it really doesn’t take that long.

If I'm looking to duplicate a premade mix, this is what I do. As an example, I’m going to use the McCormick Steakhouse Mushroom mix that ckreef has in his photo, just because it’s the first one. ^_^ 

First thing is to look up the ingredient list. Google is your friend here. There’s a page with lots of information on what goes into this mix here. Here’s the ingredient list, from the page I linked to:

Onion, Garlic, Salt, Mushroom, Spices (Including Black Pepper, Yeast Extract, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten, Soy Protein, And Wheat Gluten, Vinegar, Molasses, Sugar, And Natural Flavor.

Although we don’t have exact measurements, the ingredients will be listed in order of how much is in the mix. We can ignore a lot of the ingredients, like soy protein and wheat gluten. Ingredients towards the end of the list are in smaller amounts, and probably can be dropped without altering the flavor much. Once I get rid of the nonessential ingredients, here’s my list.

Onion, Garlic, Salt, Mushroom, Black Pepper, Molasses, Sugar.

I would make a mix with equal parts onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper, probably 1/2 tsp. each. In place of the molasses and sugar, I might add a pinch of brown sugar. For the mushroom, either add minced real mushrooms or dried mushroom (porcini, shiitake, etc.) shavings. I might even add back a drop of vinegar or so. And since vinegar is just to add some acidity, you can substitute that with other acidic ingredients, like a little red wine, since that goes well with mushrooms. Total time to mix these ingredients together would be 2-3 minutes, tops.

Then I would follow the directions on the website. It says that one package is 2 tsp., and that’s enough to add to 1 lb. of burger meat. So take 2 tsp or so of the mix you just made, and 1 lb. of burger meat, mix, and grill.

You can take this approach with just about any premade spice mix. The benefits of this are that in the vast majority of cases, salt and/or sugar are at the top of the ingredient list, which means that you’re paying a lot for relatively cheap ingredients. And if you look through the ingredient list of a number of spice mixes, you’ll see the same ingredients coming up over and over again, so it won’t be hard to stock your spice rack with the spices you’ll need. 

1 hour ago, wilburpan said:

I’ve come to like making my own rubs and spice mixtures. In the long run, it’s cheaper than the prepackaged mixes, and it really doesn’t take that long.

If I'm looking to duplicate a premade mix, this is what I do. As an example, I’m going to use the McCormick Steakhouse Mushroom mix that ckreef has in his photo, just because it’s the first one. ^_^ 

First thing is to look up the ingredient list. Google is your friend here. There’s a page with lots of information on what goes into this mix here. Here’s the ingredient list, from the page I linked to:

Onion, Garlic, Salt, Mushroom, Spices (Including Black Pepper, Yeast Extract, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten, Soy Protein, And Wheat Gluten, Vinegar, Molasses, Sugar, And Natural Flavor.

Although we don’t have exact measurements, the ingredients will be listed in order of how much is in the mix. We can ignore a lot of the ingredients, like soy protein and wheat gluten. Ingredients towards the end of the list are in smaller amounts, and probably can be dropped without altering the flavor much. Once I get rid of the nonessential ingredients, here’s my list.

Onion, Garlic, Salt, Mushroom, Black Pepper, Molasses, Sugar.

I would make a mix with equal parts onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper, probably 1/2 tsp. each. In place of the molasses and sugar, I might add a pinch of brown sugar. For the mushroom, either add minced real mushrooms or dried mushroom (porcini, shiitake, etc.) shavings. I might even add back a drop of vinegar or so. And since vinegar is just to add some acidity, you can substitute that with other acidic ingredients, like a little red wine, since that goes well with mushrooms. Total time to mix these ingredients together would be 2-3 minutes, tops.

Then I would follow the directions on the website. It says that one package is 2 tsp., and that’s enough to add to 1 lb. of burger meat. So take 2 tsp or so of the mix you just made, and 1 lb. of burger meat, mix, and grill.

You can take this approach with just about any premade spice mix. The benefits of this are that in the vast majority of cases, salt and/or sugar are at the top of the ingredient list, which means that you’re paying a lot for relatively cheap ingredients. And if you look through the ingredient list of a number of spice mixes, you’ll see the same ingredients coming up over and over again, so it won’t be hard to stock your spice rack with the spices you’ll need. 

Thanks for the info and ideas, Wilbur. I wouldn't have thought to look it up on the Internet, and make my own. The way you explained it, makes it seem pretty straightforward. I'll give it a try! Thanks again!

Good post Wilburpan. I'm sort of the opposite of you. I use to make everything from scratch. I would look up my idea on the Internet and go from there. I still usually do that on the weekends but more and more I find myself using pre-made marinades and rubs especially on weeknights.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

6 hours ago, ckreef said:

Good post Wilburpan. I'm sort of the opposite of you. I use to make everything from scratch. I would look up my idea on the Internet and go from there. I still usually do that on the weekends but more and more I find myself using pre-made marinades and rubs especially on weeknights.

I know I’ve mentioned this before, but I do have my fall back make-your-own rub for when I’m really really really in a hurry. Since I have that committed to memory, I can make that in no time.

But in real life, I’ve found that using a premade rub only saves me a few minutes, tops. I’ll lose that much time wandering around the kitchen trying to remember what I did with my knife. ^_^

And on top of that, making my own rub allows me to control how much salt is in the final product. From an overall health standpoint, that’s something to think about.

I get my fresh spices from  World Spice ~ www.worldspice.com  Their spices are usually 60-80% more aromatic than the pre-ground and packaged crap that they sell in markets.  The closest analogy would be pre-ground coffee compared to fresh roasted and ground at the time of consumption..

They will grind for you as they ship which is what I would do if I lived stateside. I'd just order every three months. I get things in their natural form and grind or chop up myself.  My go to rubs I make larger batches and then keep them in a vacuumed tub in the freezer. Don't leave the cold tub sitting open to collect humidity. Pour out what you need and immediately return to freezer. 

I do not put any salt in my rubs.. I weigh my meat in grams or use the package weight if I have not trimmed too much and then add  0.6% - 0.8% salt .  

Penzey's is my go-to for spices. I buy in bulk bags over the jars  (way cheaper), then break it down into single ounce packets with the FoodSaver. If it's something that I use frequently, then I will open a pack and pour it into a shaker bottle. If it's something I only use periodically, FoodSaver makes re-sealable bags that use a special attachment that goes on the hose for them (there's also a rechargeable hand-held model). 

http://www.foodsaver.com/bags-and-rolls/choose-by-size/quart-bags-and-rolls/the-foodsaver-vacuum-zipper-quart-bags18-count/FSFRBZ0216-P00R.html?source=igodigital

Here's the adapter if you have a model with the hose feature.

http://www.foodsaver.com/accessories-and-parts/foodsaver-vacuum-zipper-bag-adapter/137207-000-000.html#start=1

Here's the hand held model. It's stand alone and rechargeable. A good option if you don't have a FoodSaver system.

http://www.foodsaver.com/fresh-saver/the-foodsaver-freshsaver-red-handheld-vacuum-sealing-system/FSFRSH0053-000.html#start=1