Shuley

Lighting question.

Charles, if you only knew the half of it!  About 9 months after that incident, I bought my freedom, and my cajones, back.  It wasn't pretty an d I was expensive!

Not to offend that Distaff Half here, but to the guys …

Do you know why divorce is so expensive?  Because it is SOOOO worth it!  

To anyone here who is married, you and your spouse have my undying admiration.  I've been a success at most things, but I just can't figure out this marriage thing.  Oh well, at least I can cook, clean, sew buttons, iron and do laundry.  

• Like 1

you guys are too funny! I was married once and have to say it was the best time of my life, with the kids and all. been single now for almost 30 years; one of the reasons I could get my BB32. Sorry to say its still out in the garage. Tomorrow my friend is coming over and we are going to get it off the pallet. I'll probably have wait a couple weeks before I can move it out back to the patio. have to remove some fence ext. also have to get ok from my neighbor to go across his back yard. gotta take down 2 fences. curses on these zero lot line homes.  i'm thinking of getting the propane burner so I can preheat my BB in  hurry. any comments on that? I have question about that box underneath the komodo is secured to the pallet, or can i tilt the BB and remove the box. Seems to me if I scooch it off the box it may damage some of the edge tile at the bottom. any help on the subject will be muchly appreciated. hope all is well with guys.

• Like 1

No worries on the slight lift to get the KK off the box on the bottom of the pallet. 

Get the propane/MAPP torch for killing weeds, something like this one - http://smile.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-JT850-Self-Igniting-Outdoor/dp/B00008ZA0F

Promise the neighbor that you'll cook him some ribs/brisket/pulled pork (whatever), if he lets you move the KK through his back yard. Bribery of food works every time!

• Like 1

@Bruce Pearson - wow, that zero lot line sucks big time!  Like @tony bsays, threaten your neighbor with the best Que he's ever tasted!  

As for the propane system, I don't have any experience with it.  However, TheBeast heats up plenty fast for my style of cooking.  For low-n-slow cooks I'll heat soak TheBeast for an hour while I'm trimming ribs, etc. Thats plenty of time for me.  As for grilling and searing, the draw through the lump pile is so efficient, TheBeast get up to cooking temps quite quickly, again while I'm prepping the cooks. 

I can see where where a propane burner could be an advantage, particularly in cold weather.  I live in the very middle of Oklahoma, so really cold weather isn't an issue for me as it would if I lived in Wyoming.  

I wish you well either way you decide to go with the propane burner.  And we're all waiting to see the picks of the uncrating and setting of your KK BB.  I used a couple of sheet of 3/4" plywood to facilitate the move of my KK BB around the house.  

I found the torch works well for spot lighting, but it still takes awhile for the unit to get heat soaked for grilling, at least a lot longer than it took for my #7 Kamado. My son got a spark in his eye the first time he lit with the MAPP torch so I have goggles at the ready now. 

Since I like to do prep work work while the KK is coming up to temperature, I decided to expand on the hair dryer idea so I didn't have to hold it. I had an old CPAP hanging around. This worked great!

IMG_6631.JPG

• Like 3

@BBQKaeding - WOW!  That is one good looking cooker!  I like that plaid pattern.  Very nice.  And I like that Hairdryer hooked up to the Controller port.  What kind of hairdryer is that?

As an aside, whenever I'm doing cooks in the 200-300 range, I just light one spot.  For cooks in the 300-400 range, I'll light two spots.  In the 400-500 range I will light between 3 and 4 spots. I just set my veins and latch the lid. TheBeast is always ready within an hour.

On 6/8/2016 at 4:54 PM, CeramicChef said:

As an aside, whenever I'm doing cooks in the 200-300 range, I just light one spot.  For cooks in the 300-400 range, I'll light two spots.  In the 400-500 range I will light between 3 and 4 spots. I just set my veins and latch the lid. TheBeast is always ready within an hour.

I do the same, but I found my old "hair dryer" cuts the time in half or better. Us unfortunate CPAP users would more likely call it a mouth dryer though :smt015.  I just need to remember to remove the hose from the Guru port before it gets too hot and melts the connector :-D (it's not silicone, unfortunately). I thought about injecting oxygen that I have for oxygenating beer wort into the air supply, but decided that might make time too short - if you get my drift :muffy:

Did you know that my member icon/pic is a kettle of wort over some overly excited mesquite charcoals? Believe it or not, it was an amazing beer. :beer:

Edited by BBQKaeding
  • Like 1

2 questions.

1. Are you using the mapp torch from the top aiming down onto the coals/char/etc?  Why not light from the bottom?

2.  I ordered the propane burner attachment if I ever had to use it but in all reality it sounded like a super way to light whatever is in the basket.  Is this a good idea?  I can think of at least one negative but am asking for thoughts :-)

7 minutes ago, FotonDrv said:

2 questions.

1. Are you using the mapp torch from the top aiming down onto the coals/char/etc?  Why not light from the bottom?

2.  I ordered the propane burner attachment if I ever had to use it but in all reality it sounded like a super way to light whatever is in the basket.  Is this a good idea?  I can think of at least one negative but am asking for thoughts :-)

I Zapp the MAPP from above then use my BBQ Dragon to stoke it a bit. The number of spots I light is proportional to the temp I'm shooting for. One spot for low n slow, 3-4 for higher temps, 2 with the basket splitter. 

No idea on the propane burner, so no comment on that. 

• Like 1

Thanks HalfSmoke!

I have cooked on Kamados since 1960 and have tried many ways to light but the latest technology is always appreciated.  I have used paper/coals in a coffee can, and various lighter methods with 99% isopropyl or denatured alcohol swabs, finely shaved kindling wood and a match, etc.

The Mapp Gas is not something I have tried but in lieu of a BBQ Dragon I have a battery operated leaf blower and sit back several feet from the draft door to get the coal going.  Amazing how well the airflow can be feathered by just aiming a bit off target.

Here are my tools for lighting. I like this MAPP torch, as I can aim it precisely at the spot I want to light, but from a safer distance (see earlier post in this thread about sparks.)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008ZA0F

And the FiAir is handy if you don't have electrical power nearby for the hairdryer option.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D5FS7HA

As for "why not light from the bottom?" - my ass is getting too old to get down on my hands and knees to light the grill from below, plus it's hard to see what you're going. And, removing the lower vent door every time you light the grill will eventually loosen the snug fit that holds it in place. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tony b said:

Here are my tools for lighting. I like this MAPP torch, as I can aim it precisely at the spot I want to light, but from a safer distance (see earlier post in this thread about sparks.)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008ZA0F

And the FiAir is handy if you don't have electrical power nearby for the hairdryer option.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D5FS7HA

As for "why not light from the bottom?" - my ass is getting too old to get down on my hands and knees to light the grill from below, plus it's hard to see what you're going. And, removing the lower vent door every time you light the grill will eventually loosen the snug fit that holds it in place. 

Those 2 items make good sense and yes, I too am old, arthritic and have enough extra metal in me to set off detectors wherever I go, not mention the rad detectors too :shock: 

Thanks for the thoughts.

I use the same Benzomatic from Tony's Amazon link.   I like using MAPP with it but its gotten expensive and seems I always have a few partially full (< 1/2 full) propane canisters laying around to use up from camp stove use ... they get the job done without issue.   It can rest atop the side shelf or table and sorta wedge the flame tip end on the charcoal basket if I get impatient and want to let it run a little longer without me holding it in place. 

And with this Benzomatic there isn't a rubber hose to melt ;).

Edited by dstr8
  • Like 1