_Ed_

Tandoori Chicken

Day 2 of KK cooking - thought we'd try some tandoori to take advantage of all the space available in the KK relative to other cookers. Turned out very nicely - the skewers sat nicely above the fire, all contained, temperature rock solid at 250C. Served with naan, kachumber, tandoori mushrooms and mint raita.

IMG_1475.jpgIMG_1476.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks! The flamingo glass belongs to the little man! his favourite, currently.

Recipe is pretty simple, tbh, but a bit time consuming. Cut a small chicken (c. 850g / 1.75lb) into quarters, remove skin, and slash surface of each piece to let marinades penetrate. Then 2 marinades:

1. Marinade 1: 6 cloves garlic, equal amount ginger, 1tsp kashmiri chilli powder, salt to 1.5% of weight of chicken. Whizzed up into a paste. Add some vegetable oil if too thick, and then rub into the chicken pieces. Leave this for a couple of hours. It's both flavouring and a brine.

2. Marinade 2: 1 bay leaf, 2 cloves, 4 green cardamom pods, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, pinch of salt, 1 tbsp black peppercorns, 2 dried red chillies, 150g natural yoghurt, juice of a lemon. [optional: 1/2 tsp caraway seeds, 1/2tsp mace]. Grind dry spices to a powder, then add the yoghurt and lemon juice and whizz up. Add Marinade 2 to the chicken (don't take off marinade one) and leave it for 4-6 hours (not too much longer as the yoghurt can make the chicken sort of chalky if over marinated).

Preheat the KK to 250C.

Thread the chicken onto the skewers - long flat skewers are best. Rest for five mins to allow excess marinade to drip off. Then place over the fire for five minutes, then turn and cook for another five minutes. Take off the fire for 5 mins to rest and allow temp to cool down a bit, and then baste with butter or oil, and add back to the fire for another 5 mins on either side, or until singed in places. Because of the brine and the yoghurt, it's quite difficult to dry this out, and it is worth taking it a bit higher than you might usually (I normally take chicken breast to 62C or so, but with this one I am ok at 68C, as the char adds great flavour). Rest for five mins, then serve with wedges of lemon...

Of course, you can always do this on the grates if the skewer route does not appeal. Oil them well, though.

Thanks for the recipes. Never seen it done in 2 steps before. Will definitely be trying this one, as Tandoori chicken is a favorite, especially wings! 

Tell the little guy, I heartily approve of the Pink Flamingo cup. I do a charity dinner periodically, where the theme is Pink Flamingos. I have just about everything from tablecloths, napkins, glasses, plates, S&P shakers, decorations, you name it. Here's a picture from a previous one. Those are a couple of the guests in the picture.

100_1321.JPG

• Like 1

@_Ed_ - wow, that's just some really nice chicken and the recipes sound delicious!  My pastor is a priest from India and he's coming to dinner in a couple of weeks.  You've just inspired me as to what to cook.  Thanks!

Congrats on a very nice cook!  And I LOVE pink flamingos!

My priest was from Ireland. Great man.

Mrs. Reef's Bistro

• Like 1

Susan - today is our Pastor's 51 birthday.  BIG party at the church this evening.  Fajitas is the main course at the request of Fr. Prakash.  Whoever suspected that a priest from India living in central Oklahoam would want Mexican food for his birthday dinner!

That is funny. Hope you all have a great time.

Mrs. Reef's Bistro

• Like 1

Well done, Syz. I also did Tandoori chicken tonight. I cheated. Did Ed's Marinade #1, but for #2, I used Penzey's Tandoori spice blend with Greek yogurt and lime juice. Didn't have the kashmiri chili powder, so I used Gochugaru (Korean pepper), has a bit more kick, but has a bright red color (HIgh ASTA). Like the way it came out. Sorry, no pics, as I was a bit rushed to get dinner done tonight.