ckreef

Sear Then Bake Chicken Pot Pie

I've outlined this procedure before but with a few new members I thought I would do it again. Besides had to cook something for dinner last night.

The idea is to quickly sear a piece of protein then use the kamado to bake a dish.

Start by lighting a full firebox of lump in 2 or 3 spots. Close the dome and set both upper and lower vents to wide open. The idea is to get a raging bed off coals (for the sear) while trapping as little heat in the kamado as possible. Once the coals are going good do a quick sear using a lower grate. (in this case 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs)

a983038ba606acae9072576b472cddea.jpg

Once the Sear is complete pull the protein, add your heat diffuser and main grate. Close the dome and adjust your vents for your desired baking temperature. Initially your temperature is going to plunge. Just be patient. The fire will die down while the ceramics soak up the extra heat in there. Your kamado should now slowly glide up to the baking temperature you set with your vents. I was aiming for 400* baking temperature. Once stable at your temperature proceed with your cook.

288dc653a4691be2618c54d2737cddc1.jpg

While waiting for the kamado to get to baking temperature I went inside and got my chicken pot pie ready using the grilled chicken. If you have never used grilled protein in a meat pie you are in for a treat. Takes chicken pot pie to a whole other level. I put the pot pie on a heat soaked kamado and 35 minutes later it was done. A simple easy meal using one kamado.

c9f6ccbd8db5f80b11c7518851f1f6f3.jpg

Reef's Bistro

• Like 3

Looking good! I went down the the Black bear restaurant last week to have a chicken pot pie and they don't make them anymore:-( Guess I'll have to learn to make my own, probably taste better anyway. This is a cool site, I'm learning a lot reading all the great posts. Thanks everybody.

I know you said you've mainly eaten out a lot lately. There are a bunch of really easy dishes you can make that taste excellent. This is a perfect example. Mixed frozen vegetables, decent pre-made gravy, the grilled chicken chopped up and a Bisquick topping that just gets mixed and poured on. Pop it in the KK and 35 minutes later dinner was done.

No fancy mixing. No rolling out a pie crust. As easy as it gets and tastes fantastic.

Reef's Bistro

That's great use and planning for a quick one KK cook. That would look nice too in individual ramekins. 

I thought about that but my small ramekins are just a little to small. One day I'll come across the right size individual ramekins and buy a few.

Reef's Bistro

I have a bunch of ramekins of various sizes. I use most of the smaller ones for my mis en place, but have a few larger ones for individual casseroles. Is this size big enough, or are you thinking larger?

https://smile.amazon.com/Norpro-260A-Porcelain-Ramekins-Set/dp/B000SSTNLG/

These are bigger, but a tad pricier.

https://smile.amazon.com/Culinary-Ramekin-12-Bowl-Set/dp/B008XS1OKQ

Edited by tony b

We bought some crock-style soup bowls to make French Onion Soup. They work great for individual sized chicken pot pies, too.

I think we got them at Bed Bath and Beyond, but can't find them on their site.

Edited by cschaaf

I have a bunch of ramekins of various sizes. I use most of the smaller ones for my mis en place, but have a few larger ones for individual casseroles. Is this size big enough, or are you thinking larger?

https://smile.amazon.com/Norpro-260A-Porcelain-Ramekins-Set/dp/B000SSTNLG/

These are bigger, but a tad pricier.

https://smile.amazon.com/Culinary-Ramekin-12-Bowl-Set/dp/B008XS1OKQ

Those are 4" & 5" respectively.

Either would work for Mrs skreef. I could probably get by on the 5" but I'd like to find 6" otherwise I'd have to make my son 2 - LOL. No worries I'll eventually find what I'm looking for. Maybe small porcelain coated CI mini Caserole pans would be the bomb. Next time I go to the outlet mall I'll have to make it my mission.

Reef's Bistro

We bought some crock-style soup bowls to make French Onion Soup. They work great for individual sized chicken pot pies, too.

I think we got them at Bed Bath and Beyond, but can't find them on their site.

I have a set of those too. Not quite big enough especially for my son.

Reef's Bistro

23 hours ago, ckreef said:

Those are 4" & 5" respectively.

Either would work for Mrs skreef. I could probably get by on the 5" but I'd like to find 6" otherwise I'd have to make my son 2 - LOL. No worries I'll eventually find what I'm looking for. Maybe small porcelain coated CI mini Caserole pans would be the bomb. Next time I go to the outlet mall I'll have to make it my mission.

Reef's Bistro

It's a set of 4, so perfect - one for you, one for the Mrs, and 2 for the boy! Or you could get him his own. Is this one big enough?

https://smile.amazon.com/Bakeware-Porcelain-Recrangle-Ramekin-Baker/dp/B0091RYJYG