Steve M

Kalua Pork

So, all geared up and ready to try the Kalua pork. Won't bore you with the drama of getting the BBQ rub, but it finally arrived in time.

Prep 2.jpg

Banana leaves are good to go.

banana leaf 2.jpg

Rubbed over night, injected the morning of cooking with mix of chicken stock (from the bouillon) and BBQ rub, onto the KK @ 275F, indirect, with smoking pot of maple, apple, and peach wood.

grill money.jpg

Up close and personal.

grill close up.jpg

Pulled @ 160F IT to wrap in the banana leaves, with the pineapple sauce.

banana.jpg

Done @ 185F IT and rested for 20 minutes (while the corn finished).

done.jpg

Sliced up and ready for plating.

sliced.jpg

Plated, with local corn on the cob, and a nice pasta salad. 

Plated 2.jpg

This one's a "keeper." Very tasty pork and not what I was expecting at all - not seriously sweet from the pineapple & brown sugar sauce in the banana leaves. I'm liking the Soo's rub, also. Worth the hassles to get it after all! 

Thanks folks! I'm off to make a nice Cuban sandwich for lunch with the leftovers.

Yeah, I was shocked that it wasn't sweet at all, very savory. First, the pineapple wasn't packed in syrup, but it's own juice, so that helped a lot. And I think that the banana leaves, which smelled like tea when I opened the package, helped balance things out. 

Unless you tied it up with butcher's twine, it wouldn't stay wrapped well, as the banana leaf is fairly stiff until heated. For this cook, you foil the whole thing (I used 2 layers) after you wrap in the banana leaves. I have plenty of left over banana leaves, so I might give it a try (assuming I remember next brisket cook) - maybe a combo of banana leaves and pink butcher paper?