Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
cschaaf

Homemade storage unit - Wilburpan inspired

Recommended Posts

I finally completed my storage unit. I kept trying to design something that used horizontal shelving then ultimately decided that @wilburpan had already designed exactly what I needed - vertical storage. His original thread is here:

http://komodokamadoforum.com/topic/6027-built-a-storage-unit-for-my-kk-grill-accessories/#comment-61206

I don't have 1/2 the tools, 1/3 of the patience, or 1/16 of the skills that Wilbur has, but I still managed to get this thing together without too many issues and, more importantly, I didn't even get a splinter!

No closeup pictures of my joints, they aren't nearly as tidy as Wilbur's. I'd never done half lap joints before and I did these all with my table saw - it worked well enough. I got better as I went. If you were to look at all of the joints, you could easily piece together the timeline of my build. lol

I'd also never ripped down a 2x8 into 2x4s. Doesn't seem like it would be, but it's very difficult to find 'half'. I don't have a planer, so I was stuck with my best attempt at 'half'. I probably should have cut a thin edge off of each side of the 8" width to give me non-rounded edges. Failing that, I should have made sure my flat edges were used in the best direction.

I made a few relatively minor changes from Wilbur's design. I put in a 2x4 under the center of each of the platforms (perpendicular to the top boards) so that I could put heavy objects on and not worry about the top boards sagging. Not sure if it was at all necessary, especially on the bottom, but it made me feel better to include them.

I also noticed way too late that my shelf frames are upside down from Wilbur's. The middle support should help with that mistake.

The second change was that I pegged the lap joints on the dividers - drilled two 1/4" hols and drove in dowels. Again, likely not necessary at all but I'd never done that before and it seemed like a good opportunity to practice.

Last, on the lower shelf, I notched out the outside edges of the frame and top boards so that the uprights weren't hanging outside of the top and bottom shelf. In other words, the unit is flush the whole way down both sides. If you look at Wilbur's, his uprights are 'outside' of the shelves. Not sure there is a difference either way structurally.

It took me three weekends working on and off to get this built. The wood, screws, and sealer cost me about $60. And I only had to message Wilbur once for assistance! ;)

Loaded in here are: the lower/sear grate, deflector, rotisserie basket and motor (in the bin) and smoking CI pot. Not loaded are: the main grate (unlikely this will ever find it's way to this storage bin, but it would fit if I need it to), upper grate, and baking stone (all three of which were in the grill working on some calzones for dinner).

 

IMG_0413[1].JPGIMG_0414[1].JPG

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tony b said:

Well done.

btw - speaking of Wilbur, we haven't heard from him in a good while. Hope all is well?

I was thinking the same thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wilbur is doing well - very busy at work. He's still grilling up a storm, just hasn't had time to post anything lately.

He was on vacation when I PMd him and still took the time to respond to my build questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Hey speaking about people who haven't been on for a long time anybody hear from ceramic chef. He used to be on every day then all of a sudden couple months ago nothing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last we heard, Ken (aka Ceramic Chef) has been trying to startup a new business venture, which has kept him away from posting. Hopefully both Ken and Wilbur will be back to posting soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better late than never: Terrific job on your storage unit! It really looks great.

On 11/14/2016 at 1:34 PM, cschaaf said:

No closeup pictures of my joints, they aren't nearly as tidy as Wilbur's. I'd never done half lap joints before and I did these all with my table saw - it worked well enough. I got better as I went. If you were to look at all of the joints, you could easily piece together the timeline of my build. lol

 

That's pretty much true for everything. The more you practice something, the better you get at it. I remember the first time I made a dovetailed box with hand tools. Even over just those four joints, I got better with each one. When I was done, you could turn the box around and see the joints getting better as you turned it. ^_^

Edited by wilburpan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...