mguerra

Water Heater Pan

1 hour ago, tony b said:

@tekobo Give the PBW a go, no need for that scruffy pad.

I do have PBW but this works better for me for regular cleaning.  I clean my grates after every cook, usually the day after, when they are cool.  A quick soak gets most stuff loose and the grates are out of the kitchen within half an hour.  Soaking in PBW takes longer and I'll probably do that in the summer when I can leave the tray (or a paddling pool) out in the garden.  

One thing I have never done is to clean the grates down with a wire brush or spanner while hot. Given the sheer scale of the grates in the 32 it would make the indoor job easier if I had already got rid of some of the debris before I brought them in.  One to do while the meat is resting methinks.  My mileage varies. Often. 🤪

1 hour ago, tony b said:

SCIENCE!!   :smt115

I could have looked up how to rig up a siphon but the benefit of having a husband who used to work in a ship's engine room is that I just have to ask and, mostly, a solution is found.  It was worth marrying a Clankie just for that!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Tyrus said:

The bottom of the page got me again. It's a trap I tell ya

I tried posting a picture of Admiral Akbar from Return of the Jedi but to no avail.....every time I hear that line my brain instantly goes to that

Edited by Troble
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Forrest said:

I ordered this. We will see how it works. Was only $17 on Amazon return deals.

Wow. By an extreme coincidence, I held this exact washing machine drain pan in my hands yesterday, at a local Lowes. It's flimsy. You'll return it.

Our compost bins are no longer made, and falling apart after two generations of Harbor Freight straps. We rejected every purpose-built compost bin, and finally decided on seven industrial stackable containers:

Global Industrial™ Straight Wall Container Solid - Stackable NRSO2422-14 - 24 x 22-1/2 x 14-1/2

I'll be cutting out most of the bottoms, and hoping for the best. They arrived yesterday, and needed lids. I checked out and rejected this drain pan, before reverting to $8 squares of cheap plywood, for now.

Here is the original forum post on using a water heater drain pan to clean grates:

Water Heater Pan (2010)

That pan of course broke, being plastic. Here I switch to metal, beat up now but going strong.

Water Heater Pan (2015)

Yesterday's lid search did get me to review the category, and in another coincidence cement mixing tubs caught my eye. Though plastic they'd last a long time as Komodo grate cleaning pans, if one found a good size.

It isn't rocket science, however, to plug the hole in a water heater drain pan. You're already in a hardware store, already in an inventive mood. Figure something out!

Though of late I always use my pressure washer. The pan protects my yard. I'm asking myself why I don't take the plug back out. Pooled water only gets in the way.

Here's my trusty water heater pan (Honey smells barbecue!):

waterheaterpan.thumb.jpeg.7e0d45d9fd5834a652f76abd87bff6ba.jpeg

Here's the old compost heap:

old.thumb.jpeg.9535f799d26654b0a860ae2f96e98987.jpeg

Here's a bottom bin for one of the new stacks. I'll cut out more of the bottom for other levels:

new.thumb.jpeg.b41347c41d4e3132bdceae3c8a6b0860.jpeg

It's hard to listen to "What If?" by the author of XKCD without calculating exactly how many holes I need to aerate the new stacks. And Laurie wouldn't have it any other way; this is her turf.

What If?

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 1