Tyrus

Hulli hulli chcken and Hawaiian bacon

When I received the rotisserie I knew chicken had to be first, simple and good test. A nice toy almost as good as the Lionel railroad set I had as a kid. Well, it was a  3 part process, brine, rub and sauce. While the brining was on I smoked up a 4.5 Lb piece of pork belly for bacon.  This piece was cured for 5 or 6 days with an addition of apple jam and cooked to 150 with some pineapple juice and soy sauce baste. That makes it Hawaiian, if a Kangaroo walked by it would Australian. I got the spit on and it was aDSCF2051.thumb.JPG.af3e3e848b0993527bd4c816777c1204.JPG wonder to behold, don't take much to please me. The chook was rubbed and about 40 mins later basted with the sauce. The sauce was real good but was used up as a baste, it would have been nice to dip at the end. Hope you like the pics

DSCF2049.JPG

DSCF2057.JPG

DSCF2062.JPG

DSCF2065.JPG

DSCF2050.JPG

DSCF2063.JPG

• Like 7

I went from 200 on the bacon to 350 for the chicken and I think it climbed to 400 when I came out after a second check. No problem, I took it off later and the meat was just what you would expect. No work involved, have to say I was quite pleased. Nice tool, nice toy.

Just now, Tyrus said:

I went from 200 on the bacon to 350 for the chicken and I think it climbed to 400 when I came out after a second check. No problem, I took it off later and the meat was just what you would expect. No work involved, have to say I was quite pleased. Nice tool, nice toy.

Sure sure  put the bacon in frig but before I slice it goes in the freezer for an hour to stiffen up a little more then I slice.

7 minutes ago, Eddie mac said:

Great job all around I want to do a 12lb turkey on the roto next I have one in my freezer will have to thaw and brine after superbowl

those hotel turkeys are good too,,no fussing with wing and legs, but if you like the dark meat hold your course.

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

Hey @Tyrus.  Looks very good.  But nowhere do you actually say how it all tasted.  Well??

I did allude to it though. You know the chicken coming off the KK is always moist, the KK factor I call it, sort of a built in forgiveness for the operator. The taste had a sweet vinegar coating with a warm setting to the lips coming through from the rub. Together they played well. Visually, I would have liked to have seen more red from the sauce like I saw on Eddie Mac's pork but the taste overrode any expectations with appearance. The bacon was spot on as you Brits might mention, just enough salt inside to make it one you would appreciate. That's it, not legendary, closer to epic. Gotta go, patriots are having there rally on TV and Huli Huli chicken is on google video if you wish to try. Go pats

3 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

not legendary, closer to epic. Gotta go, patriots are having there rally on TV and Huli Huli chicken is on google video if you wish to try. Go pats

I was going to say something nice about your epic chicken.  Until you started your needling.  All good.  I won't rise to the bait.  Imagine I said something nice about your epic chicken and that you'll soon be sending me the rub in payment when Philly win.