tekobo

Nigerian Suya

2 hours ago, _Ed_ said:

That's so exciting! Goat pepper soup is my absolute favourite. I once took a friend of mine (who happens to be Scottish) to Yellow Chili in Lagos, and he ordered the pepper soup there. He managed to get one spoonful down before going beet-red and practically diving headfirst into a pint of beer. Oh, happy times. 

I've got piri piri marinating for dinner this evening. it's definitely African food week here... deep joy.

That is so naughty, feeding a Scotsman pepper soup without a preparatory training regime!    :evil: and :twisted:

Have you tried to make pepper soup yourself?  It is relatively easy. I get great goat with bones to make the stock and then use a bought bottle of spices to achieve the distinctive pepper soup taste.   I reckon you can do the same with shop bought chicken stock and cubed goat. If you can't find the spices in London I can see if I can source them down here or you could buy/get someone to buy them for you when you are next out in Nigeria.  

Piri piri - yum!  How great is summer this year?  It is so good that I have declared it the best summer of my life so far.  :rr:

• Like 2

@tekobo it's easy enough, I think, to get the pre-mixed pepper soup spice, but sourcing Calabash nutmeg to make your own is a massive pain. Might be worth a trip down to Brixton market to see what they've got down there. I haven't made pepper soup in the UK yet, but certainly will. Now that goat is much more readily available, it'll be on the list to do for sure.

Two other thoughts occurred: I'm fairly sure that suya would make a killer taco. Make the onion and tomato into a pico de gallo-style salsa (lose the acid and cilantro, tho), add some more crushed peanuts and possibly some habanero or scotch bonnet salsa too, and you'd be in business.

And on the subject of goat, a slow-smoked goat shoulder in the KK is going to be a must-do summer cook.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, _Ed_ said:

@tekobo it's easy enough, I think, to get the pre-mixed pepper soup spice, but sourcing Calabash nutmeg to make your own is a massive pain. Might be worth a trip down to Brixton market to see what they've got down there. I haven't made pepper soup in the UK yet, but certainly will. Now that goat is much more readily available, it'll be on the list to do for sure.

Two other thoughts occurred: I'm fairly sure that suya would make a killer taco. Make the onion and tomato into a pico de gallo-style salsa (lose the acid and cilantro, tho), add some more crushed peanuts and possibly some habanero or scotch bonnet salsa too, and you'd be in business.

And on the subject of goat, a slow-smoked goat shoulder in the KK is going to be a must-do summer cook.

Brixton has changed so much since I lived there when I first started work in the late 80s.  If you do go, see if you can get into the restaurant Salon.  I hear it is rammed at night but I had it to myself one week day lunchtime and the food was great.  They made croquettes from the "new" ingredient that seems to be everywhere these days: Nduja sausage.  I know, it sounds African but it is actually Italian and does live up to the hype.  

You should drop by on the forum more often. Two killer next cooks from one post - goat tacos and smoked goat shoulder.  I am on it!

I lived down in Brixton until 2008 - absolutely loved the place. Just when the first wave of gentrification hit, really. I have heard good things about Salon, and have also enjoyed Nanban  - Tim Anderson is a thoroughly nice bloke, and his food is really good. 

Always liked N'duja - my wife is nuts about Italian food, and we use it as a pizza topping frequently. An n'duja croquette sounds amazing.

The piri piri has just hit the KK - I'll post some pix when it is done.

• Like 1

Right, piri piri done. Salted overnight, then marinaded for about 8 hours in fresh red chili, kashmiri chili powder, garlic, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, coriander seed, cumin seed, black pepper, and a tonne of oregano, all blitzed together in the blender. Top grate for 35 mins at about 300F, then brushed with additional marinade and seared on the bottom grate. Served with cucumber pickle, and potatoes.

Photos are marinated and on upper grill / cooked but pre-sear / seared off / served.

IMG_0007.thumb.jpg.8446cea86afa019000b195d3eae5a76e.jpgIMG_0008.thumb.jpg.c5108ffab7a573a0361f31745032dbc3.jpgIMG_0009.thumb.jpg.4bcaff66fb35e53656319187e1d41408.jpgIMG_0011.thumb.jpg.60f6de26d228b0a172b33e1c04af4fa7.jpg

• Like 3

you might notice that a wing disappears b/w cooking and the cooked shot. I can't imagine where it went. 

I'm with you on chicken breasts. I'm very much thighs and wings myself, but the mrs likes chicken breast (these Americans, eh) and I'm oddly dogmatic about buying whole chickens and breaking them down myself. Although the piri piri chicken breast does make a killer sandwich the next day...

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, _Ed_ said:

you might notice that a wing disappears b/w cooking and the cooked shot. I can't imagine where it went. 

I'm with you on chicken breasts. I'm very much thighs and wings myself, but the mrs likes chicken breast (these Americans, eh) and I'm oddly dogmatic about buying whole chickens and breaking them down myself. Although the piri piri chicken breast does make a killer sandwich the next day...

It's an arrangement that works well at home. I do my best to keep the wife in the dark about the leg quarters, letting her believe I'm reserving the best (breast) parts for her. It's worked so far...

• Haha 3

Here we solve the who-will-eat-the-chicken-breast problem by inviting friends to eat.  Under normal circs I hate it when people respond "I don't mind" when you ask them to express a preference.  When a whole chicken is involved that is the perfect answer.  We dump the chicken breast on them and depending on how hungry we are, The Husband gets a whole leg and a thigh and I get the wings and a drumstick.  Or we fight.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The Nigerian Spice Fairy flew into my ODK this morning. How appropriate is that on what is very likely to be the hottest day of the year. :grin: 

771875412_LettheSunShine.thumb.jpg.5d15c034b6c50c664c55983d9a0c4a04.jpg

454566400_SuyaSpice.jpg.thumb.jpg.3f24541305000af9071ef960ccf535ff.jpg

I couldn't resist so I opened the package, got a few grains on the end of my finger, I could have counted the grains but the impact was like, wow. :blob6: I can't wait to try this on my Suya cook. The grill probably won't be here until the 18th or so but in the meantime I plan of just sprinkling a little on my chicken at dinner. :smt077  ROFL 

@tekobo, thank you for being soooo thoughtful and generous. I'll try and do you proud. :grin:

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mac it doesn’t look hot LOL. I haven’t received the spice I ordered yet but will only put a couple grain on my tongue when I taste it:smt091. What kind of grill are you getting? I bought a fire fence yakatori grill. Tried to give it to my daughter But she doesn’t want it.so now I have one to use on the suya. I’m looking forward to seeing your cook. Have a great day

8745EB97-CC09-4F4F-9FAC-06DDCCEBF991.jpeg

• Like 1

Bruce, I have that same grill. Don't use it often, but it does a nice job on any skewers - shrimp, veggie, meat. Haven't done any suya on it yet, but now I have my "authentic" rub, it won't be long. Got some good tips from ckreef on how to start my "B grade" binchotan charcoal, so I'm eager to try again. BTW - Dennis' cocochar is a good substitute for Japanese charcoal. 

I did a side-by-side taste test of the "authentic" version and my recipe of the rub - very different. I've already made a couple of tweaks to mine - added ginger and going to back off on the peanuts a tad. 

Made up a 1.5 lb batch of suya skewers for yesterday's 4th of July cookout at a friend's place. They were a big hit. Held back a bit on the chile spices so as to not hurt anyone! This is Iowa after all - LOL!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t know Mac, this grill seems so small do you think they make miniature charcoal for it lol. I have boxes and boxes of coco char I bought about 1000lbs of it. Of course not all was for me it was a pallet share. I think it was a ton of charcoal, half coffee char and half coco char most the other people took coffee char but I still have a bunch of the coffee char too. I thought of getting some of the binchotan but think I’ll try and break up the coco char and give it a try. I bet your skewers were a delight for you friends! What type of meat did you use? I have 1 1/2 lbs of skirt steak what do you think? I’m getting excited about this suya hope I like it. Have a great day Mac looking forward to your cook

I just had to try some of that Suya spice on my leftover chicken. I can tell you I was cautious, better safe than sorry. 

1072602167_ChickenSaladSayuPepper.jpg.e3d8f15e1bc060d47e342d0d177c3d61.jpg

774494959_SuyaPepperonChicken.thumb.jpg.d375b6cd918a38ac9c59a0b2ee3fd30f.jpg

759017126_TasteTest.thumb.jpg.9e94ada2fa8bf91a0f8d8599846b1f9e.jpg

This was tasty, I had to go back and put more Suya Pepper on my chicken. :) :smt023  :smt023

Only someone who has no bread left would make bread when it's 99F.

1507426589_SourDoughSeedBread.thumb.jpg.1b849a172982cead8a88465ff2a95553.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2