tekobo

Nigerian Suya

6 hours ago, Pequod said:

Maybe I’ll let them get me a pizza oven. Anything to keep them from feeling bad... <_<

I know you think you are the winner but I think your family is really smart.  They indulge your "excesses" because they know they will get to eat the results.  I am looking forward to seeing your/their Christmas present!

• Like 1

I was inspired by @Aussie Ora's OTB thinking when it comes to his unconventional use of rubs on "the wrong meats." So, last night I did a chicken breast with suya rub on the KK. While I braved the cold and snow to cook the chicken, I wasn't about to hang out and take pictures of the cook. But, I did take one of the plated results - with steamed broccoli and curry rice.

2071033613_suyachicken.thumb.jpg.cb859e44811109bee25c613b495d6d8b.jpg

Hats off to Aussie for inspiring me to try something unconventional! :salute:

And, YES, suya pepper rub is very good on chicken! 

• Like 3

I was inspired by [mention=2714]Aussie Ora[/mention]'s OTB thinking when it comes to his unconventional use of rubs on "the wrong meats." So, last night I did a chicken breast with suya rub on the KK. While I braved the cold and snow to cook the chicken, I wasn't about to hang out and take pictures of the cook. But, I did take one of the plated results - with steamed broccoli and curry rice.
2071033613_suyachicken.thumb.jpg.cb859e44811109bee25c613b495d6d8b.jpg
Hats off to Aussie for inspiring me to try something unconventional! :salute:
And, YES, suya pepper rub is very good on chicken! 
Now your thinking. Lol .looks terrific

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

On 11/20/2018 at 10:01 PM, Pequod said:

Ooooh. Suya Pepper fish tacos would be awesome!

`I hadn't thought of tacos but now that you mention it, I had some really good fish tacos last time I was in NY and suya pepper would do well with some silky fish.  Looks like we are going to have to run a shrimp v fish taco test very soon...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/19/2018 at 1:51 PM, tekobo said:

I know you think you are the winner but I think your family is really smart.  They indulge your "excesses" because they know they will get to eat the results.  I am looking forward to seeing your/their Christmas present!

Well I have gotten the email that my Konro is on the way! Wife is getting an awesome and unexpected Christmas gift! <_<

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Pequod said:

Well I have gotten the email that my Konro is on the way! Wife is getting an awesome and unexpected Christmas gift! <_<

Yippee!  My Konro arrived pretty fast once that email came through.  Your wife is going to get such a lovely surprise.  Will you let her unwrap it and try it out before Christmas? :smt058

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tekobo said:

Yippee!  My Konro arrived pretty fast once that email came through.  Your wife is going to get such a lovely surprise.  Will you let her unwrap it and try it out before Christmas? :smt058

Heavens, no! I want the kids there to witness the look on her face...and for my protection! 

• Haha 3

On 11/18/2018 at 6:29 PM, Pequod said:

My daughter is home from Virginia Tech and what does she request? Suya! Made this with The Suya pepper @tekobo sent me. The traditional onion and tomato are included in the form of a board sauce, with extra Suya pepper sprinkled on top.

F34C3D01-5159-45D4-B62D-8936C0E7A9E0.thumb.jpeg.a1aa861378b02004ae5ecc0d6992728a.jpeg

My last suya cook was highlighted in the monthly Amazing Ribs "Hot From The Pit" newsletter. The word is out...and now folks over at AR are learning about suya too!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pequod said:

My last suya cook was highlighted in the monthly Amazing Ribs "Hot From The Pit" newsletter. The word is out...and now folks over at AR are learning about suya too!

:cheer:woohoo. I am so happy. So cool that you are colonising America for us, one suya stick at a time!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pequod said:

That is a really well researched piece @Pequod.  I do drink gari with my suya and my mother was only last Sunday telling me about eating kilishi and how delicious it was.  I have used a lot of superlatives to describe my excitement about my KK friends' adventures in suya but this time I will use a word that my mother invented.  I am flabberwhelmed!  

• Like 2

Fish tacos v shrimp tacos?  It's a draw!  

The Husband brought back a whole stack of corn tortillas from Houston on Saturday morning.  Had friends round to try, in quick succession, shrimp and then fish and then beef tacos.  No photos at table but KK shots below.  I left some suya pepper on the table for people to help themselves to additional.  Had to restrain Spanish friend from sprinkling too liberally until he had judged the level of chilli!  All good.

I marinaded the prawns lime zest, suya pepper and oil for a couple of hours.  Real quick cook in KK.  Soaked wooden skewers were fine.  My fingers were not!

fullsizeoutput_1078.thumb.jpeg.6ad2397db6b77846e48f87459e244233.jpeg

Marinaded sea bass steaks in lime juice and Texan friend's chipotle spice mix and oil.  I oiled the grill between cooks and found that jiggling the fish a little with tongs before trying to turn meant that I managed to keep the skin on most of them.

Added suya pepper at table once flaked.  All the usual fixings - salad, chipotle mayonnaise, avocado, roast tomato salsa and some mature red Leicester cheese.  The cheese was picked so it was the same colour as Monterey Jack but I suspect they taste very different.  Accompanied by margaritas.  A good night was had by all.  

fullsizeoutput_1079.thumb.jpeg.e4331ebb1654315a6f21b90b3a72c33b.jpeg

qmG5B2rgSUyRe8A6GtsEwA.thumb.jpg.c07ac87bca69fedef9d4d45d68936554.jpg

• Like 4