bosco

Grill Cleaning

Bad news, I bought ribs so I could do a messy cook, then went to the brew store and no PBW:(

MacKenzie - this is no big deal. Cook your ribs dry, a la Memphis style. And sauce your ribs (if you must) at the table. All ribs here at ChezChef are served dry and my guests never complain! Of course, all the beer consumed waiting for the ribs to be done may have something to do with that! ;)

All the best on your rib cook this weekend!

Couple of thoughts here. 

Grill floss is da shizzle! (That's a good thing!) No metal wires.

MacKenzie, I have the chain mail scrubber for my cast iron and carbon steel pans in the kitchen. It's excellent. I've never thought to use it on the grill grates, hmmmm?? Might have to experiment., too. 

If you want maintain pristine looking grates (I'm far too lazy to care), use this product that I use in my brewing room - Powdered Brewery Wash (PBW). It was developed by Coors Brewing to clean their brewing equipment.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064O7XBA/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687522&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001D6IVZG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0VBKZ4ZPTWSB1YAN25BS

It works great! I use it to clean my cooktop when it starts to get gunky. You might have to soak your grates in it overnight, but it will cut through proteins (and other sundry junk) like crazy! Think OxyClean on steroids! It's food safe, but needs to be rinsed off well. 

Tony B., I purchased some PBW and cleaned my grates. They were very soiled with charred on residue, after soaking two days everything, which was baked/burnt on came right off and my grates look like new. This is really good stuff. Wish I had taken before and after pics.

I never clean my grates.

And your interpretation of low and slow is hotter than many of us; you report great results for example with brisket. If I always went that hot, I might not clean my grates either.

I am most concerned about cleaning my grates for the second of two low and slow cooks in a row. Even if the rancidity didn't make me sick, I believe that I would taste it. And beliefs are hard to shake.

This is a matter of taste. Backyard Weber chicken wouldn't be the same without that flavor of burning fat. And attempts to replicate duck confit using sous vide methods fall short because they fail to produce the characteristic rancidity of French farmhouse duck confit.

And your interpretation of low and slow is hotter than many of us; you report great results for example with brisket. If I always went that hot, I might not clean my grates either.

I am most concerned about cleaning my grates for the second of two low and slow cooks in a row. Even if the rancidity didn't make me sick, I believe that I would taste it. And beliefs are hard to shake.

This is a matter of taste. Backyard Weber chicken wouldn't be the same without that flavor of burning fat. And attempts to replicate duck confit using sous vide methods fall short because they fail to produce the characteristic rancidity of French farmhouse duck confit.

And the point is?

I can smell my old grease, and I can taste other people's old grease. I never let the experiment get far enough to personally know for sure if I can taste my old grease, because I clean my grates.

Chess taught me never to assume limitations in the other player. Here, I always imagine that I'm cooking for a supertaster. (In the case of a smoke pot, that supertaster is my wife.)

The paradigm of rejecting the null hypothesis was devised when a scientist complained to a few peers that she preferred pouring milk into her cup before the tea. They were dumfounded, but she could pick out blind the four samples out of eight poured her way. Here the null hypothesis is that cleaning grates doesn't matter. I wouldn't bet on it.

And the point is?

An off flavor to some can be a desired flavor to others. Some might be able to taste a grill that wasn't cleaned, and prefer the effect. How far to take a paella socarrat is perhaps the most divisive question of this form that I know.