bosco

Grill Cleaning

well, I am curious as I want to move away from my weber grill scraper when I get the KKs.

I am just curious what others here use and steps to keeping the grills so nice.

MacKenzie your grill always looks amazing so.... spill the beans please!!!

Yes, yes, spill the beans. Whenever I cook a large batch of ribs, brisket or pork butts the grates are a charred baked on mess. Short of a chemical bath or using a sand blaster ( which I would never do), if I can keep them pristine I would sure like to know how. I've tried soaking, scrubbing ( remember the detergent ads from the sixties referring to ring-around-the collar "but I just can't get those dirty rings out") arrrgh.

I've used that curly kate stainless steel scrubber and then washed it off with hot water and a rub with a cloth. Just wait though I haven't done any of those really messy cooks yet and I haven't let any of the gunk pile up either. My time is coming:)

I wonder if these would be a good option providing that none of the links come off and get into the food.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=chainnail+scrubber

I just ordered one and should have it next Wed. Stay tuned for the review;)

I've used that curly kate stainless steel scrubber and then washed it off with hot water and a rub with a cloth. Just wait though I haven't done any of those really messy cooks yet and I haven't let any of the gunk pile up either. My time is coming:)

I wonder if these would be a good option providing that none of the links come off and get into the food.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=chainnail+scrubber

I just ordered one and should have it next Wed. Stay tuned for the review;)

Thanks MacKenzie,

I think we all need to collaborate on really messy cooks and cleaning afterwards. One of my first cooks on my new grill was for 50 people in our neighborhood, we do this annually. We cooked 16 slabs of ribs, four briskets, 4 pork shoulders and six chickens. Me and my BBQ buddy were so busy that day and the day before, I did not get any photos, but everyone loved the results. What a mess it made of my new grill grates, I soaked, scrubbed and got them relatively clean, but I would like to have no left over residue what-so-ever. Me thinks the only way is good old fashioned elbow grease.

Grill floss. Best I've found. I use Grill Floss when the grates are warm. Then a high temp burn. I then follow up when everything is cold with a very, VERY stiff nylon brush made by CharBroil.

I NEVER use anything with metal bristles on my grills. I have too many MD friends who work emergency rooms and to a man, they hate metal brushes scrubbers. Bristles beak off, end up in/on the food, are ingested, and you end up in the emergency room with major gut problems. Nobody wants a perforated intestine.

Grill floss. Best I've found. I use Grill Floss when the grates are warm. Then a high temp burn. I then follow up when everything is cold with a very, VERY stiff nylon brush made by CharBroil.

I NEVER use anything with metal bristles on my grills. I have too many MD friends who work emergency rooms and to a man, they hate metal brushes scrubbers. Bristles beak off, end up in/on the food, are ingested, and you end up in the emergency room with major gut problems. Nobody wants a perforated intestine.

You are absolutely correct regarding metal bristles.

Couple of thoughts here. 

Grill floss is da shizzle! (That's a good thing!) No metal wires.

MacKenzie, I have the chain mail scrubber for my cast iron and carbon steel pans in the kitchen. It's excellent. I've never thought to use it on the grill grates, hmmmm?? Might have to experiment., too. 

If you want maintain pristine looking grates (I'm far too lazy to care), use this product that I use in my brewing room - Powdered Brewery Wash (PBW). It was developed by Coors Brewing to clean their brewing equipment.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064O7XBA/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687522&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001D6IVZG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0VBKZ4ZPTWSB1YAN25BS

It works great! I use it to clean my cooktop when it starts to get gunky. You might have to soak your grates in it overnight, but it will cut through proteins (and other sundry junk) like crazy! Think OxyClean on steroids! It's food safe, but needs to be rinsed off well. 

Couple of thoughts here. 

Grill floss is da shizzle! (That's a good thing!) No metal wires.

MacKenzie, I have the chain mail scrubber for my cast iron and carbon steel pans in the kitchen. It's excellent. I've never thought to use it on the grill grates, hmmmm?? Might have to experiment., too. 

If you want maintain pristine looking grates (I'm far too lazy to care), use this product that I use in my brewing room - Powdered Brewery Wash (PBW). It was developed by Coors Brewing to clean their brewing equipment.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064O7XBA/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687522&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001D6IVZG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0VBKZ4ZPTWSB1YAN25BS

It works great! I use it to clean my cooktop when it starts to get gunky. You might have to soak your grates in it overnight, but it will cut through proteins (and other sundry junk) like crazy! Think OxyClean on steroids! It's food safe, but needs to be rinsed off well.

Great tip, thanks.

I clean my grates right after every cook while they're still hot/warm. I use the 3/8 wrench to get the baked on stuff off and then give it a quick wipe with a paper towel. I really don't see the need to get them shiny sparkling clean before the next cook. When you're getting your Komodo to temps for the next cook, the grill will be under more heat than your dishwasher could provide and destroy any horrible nasty germs that might have made their home on it. 

If it's for photo purposes, then yeah it looks cool. But otherwise, knock off the crusty stuff and grill on, brother!

• Like 1

I'm just about positive that they will, MacKenzie. It's standard stuff in the brewing biz - commercial and homebrewing. 

Hear yah, poochie. You can't keep the "new car smell" forever. You folks don't even want to look at my drip pan - it normally looks like it's made of cast iron and not stainless steel! Whenever I get the notion, I give it an overnight soak in the PBW to kind of "refresh" it somewhat. I care to think of it as "patina."