Gnomatic

Pepper Stout Bison

My first cook on my KK was Pepper Stout Beef, which I had yet to try.  Turned out great.   If liked it with beef, I knew I'd love it with bison.(yes I'm a big fan of bison meat)

I went out and procured this beautiful bison chuck roast from a local bison farm.  About a 2.5 pounder.

image.jpg

To season it, I kept things pretty simple - rubbed it w/ oil and coated w/ 50/50 kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper.

image.jpg

image.jpg

With the KK humming along at 250F with coffee char and a few hunks of cherry wood, set up with the deflector for indirect, it was time to put this bad boy on the cooker.

image.jpg

A few hours later ...

image.jpg

At this point the roast was at about 165F.  I chopped up a red onion along with an orange bell, and tossed in a 1/2 size aluminum catering pan.  After pouring in a Guinness, I put in the roast in the pan and topped off with some fresh chopped garlic.  Sealed the pan with aluminum foil and finished on my KK until the bison hit ~200F.

image.jpg

After pulling ..

image.jpg

No fancy plated pics here, LOL.  This Pepper Stout Bison got loaded up on plates, bowls, and sandwiches and disappeared in a flash.  If you have a source for bison in your area, I recommend giving this a try!

• Like 1

Nice - never had bison before.

I really got turned on to bison after having a slab of bison prime rib during a visit to Jackson Hole, WY about  five years ago.  Absolutely incredible flavor.  After returning home, I did some digging and found local sources of bison and have been eating it fairly regularly since.

Flavor wise, its very, very similar to beef, just a bit stronger.  By stronger, I don't mean gamey or anything like that.  I describe it as a beefier-beef flavor.  Bison is much leaner that beef(also much healthier), and matters a lot when cooking steaks.  A bison steak is much less forgiving than beef.  Even if slightly overcooked, a bison steak will get VERY tough.  Cooked right though, its delicious.  If you can find some bison, give it a shot!

Awesome bison cook Gnomatic. Being from Wyoming where bison is common, I have had quite a bit of it and your description is perfect. Actually I am from Cody Wyoming and we all know the moniker of the gentleman who founded that town! After moving to Oregon I feared our buffalo eating days were over, but our local Freddy's carries Durham Ranch (Wright, Wyoming) bison so they must be distributing it fairly widely. Thanks for the inspiration to go look for a few steaks!

• Like 1