Pequod

Pork Belly Futures

7 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Can't wait to see the final bacon. We're about to redo our small pantry and turn it into a little bigger walk-in pantry. Once done maybe I'll get a slicer since I'll have a bit more storage space. 

D'oh! Sliced and vac sealed it today without pics. Fried up a couple of slices, though, and it was awesome. Planning to use the end bits this weekend in some spaghetti carbonara with fresh homemade pasta. Will try to remember to get some pics then. 

2 minutes ago, HalfSmoke said:

D'oh! Sliced and vac sealed it today without pics. Fried up a couple of slices, though, and it was awesome. Planning to use the end bits this weekend in some spaghetti carbonara with fresh homemade pasta. Will try to remember to get some pics then. 

I don't even know what to think about that. Tease us with an on grill picture and then no done and sliced picture?

We're going to call an emergency meeting tonight to determine if we need to revoke your BBQ/Grill Master card or not. :?

Do word pictures count? :-D

Seriously, I was surprised by how much maple flavor had permeated the meat. I used Chris Lilly's recipe from Fire & Smoke, in which you pour maple syrup over the belly after rubbing in the cure and black pepper. Between that and the hickory smoke, some really great flavor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

ck, just be sure before you make this move because there will be no going back to store bought. :smt077

56 minutes ago, HalfSmoke said:

True that. Soooo good! 

Once I get my pantry rebuilt (expanding it into a small walk-in pantry) I'll have room to store a slicer. Then I'll give it a go.