FotonDrv

The Bear Cometh!

Well, the BKK32 arrived today so now the unpacking has begun.  Wow, it was an engineering feat to get all that stuff inside the big shell, Kudos to Dennis and his team!

2 pallets arrived and I moved the big one and the delivery driver took the little one (240LB of goods) down my driveway.  I am super happy the way it went, nothing like heavy equipment to do the job :-) Now I need to move the gutted shell down a flight of stairs.

The next series of photos will have the process of going down the stairs.  Note the big fuzzy puppy supervising the forklift.  She is pretty good for a 17month old and didn't yap to much.

PB300127.JPG

IMG_2713.JPG

PB300115.JPG

PB300079.JPG

PB300084.JPG

PB300087.JPG

PB300093.JPG

PB300119.JPG

PB300117.JPG

PB300122.JPG

PB300131.JPG

IMG_1161.JPG

PB300133.JPG

PB300140.JPG

PB300137.JPG

PB300138.JPG

PB300143.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG

Edited by FotonDrv
adding text
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, FotonDrv said:

Well, the BKK32 arrived today so now the unpacking has begun.  Wow, it was an engineering feat to get all that stuff inside the big shell, Kudos to Dennis and his team!

PB300119.JPG

PB300140.JPG

This shot really shows the grade of your driveway.. Stephen and I talked at length about how to tackle this. I told him with three people he could probably roll his 32 down the drive on it's casters.  Better safe than sorry prevailed but I still think it was VERY do-able.

Congrats on the delivery of your BIg Bad.. Looking forward to the rest of it's travels to it's final resting place..

• Like 1

It was everything and more!

I am still a bit freaked out about rolling that down a 32 degree slope,  partly its top heavy nature but also trying to take it over the sharp break from flat to 32 degree slope and having it bottom up at that spot. Got to measure and mock  up that angle and the wheels. 

5 minutes ago, DennisLinkletter said:

This shot really shows the grade of your driveway.. Stephen and I talked at length about how to tackle this. I told him with three people he could probably roll his 32 down the drive on it's casters.  Better safe than sorry prevailed but I still think it was VERY do-able.

Congrats on the delivery of your BIg Bad.. Looking forward to the rest of it's travels to it's final resting place..

Part of it was safety and the other part was trying to get 3-4 real strong guys. Getting them all lined up in a timely manner just could not happen where this method was a slam dunk and now it sits safely in my garage awaiting some muscle to leisurely get it off the pallet and lower it down the ramp to the patio. I have an inch clearance going through the doorway and then the ramp with a chainfall lowering it and a couple of guys stabilizing it. 

Dennis, I am truly amazed at how well this thing is built!  When I first opened the lid to see all that steel inside nestled neatly and not hurting a thing after such a long trip is a real testament to the engineering that went into it design.

Even though I had the clearance in the garage to lift the crate straight up I was way to short in the legs (my legs) to lift it over the KK top so I cut the top of the crate off and lifted in in 2 sections up and over.  I am still puzzling how best to make use of the top for a ramp and maybe I might just roll it through the door on its way to the floor.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Great pics mate they are a thing of beauty aren't they looking at that slope and the pic of the delivery driver he looks like he was taking it easy going down if I was him I would of turned the other way and went backwards

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

He used something on the pallet jack to act as a skid to drag the pallet to a stop.  He commented that it was fine taking that small pallet to the bottom of the driveway but "Now way would he try the big one".

I have been busy unpacking all those boxes; darn, there sure are a lot of them and plenty of Styrofoam to rest the top on if I decide to take it off for the final roll do the next ramp.

• Like 1

I'd sure like to be there with you Stephen after your burn in and during/after your first cook to see the huge ear-to-ear grin(s)!    And once you get a feel for air control the entire process will become second nature.   I've never driven a high end sports car but I imagine the feeling is respectively similar :)

• Like 2

I wish you were here since we have so many common interests.  And I concur that this KK has the best packaging I have ever seen in the retail world.  It might not take an air drop crop a C-130 but it sure is packaged well.  It has taken me a long time to get it to the point of no crate, no wheel cover/blocks, and nothing inside it.  Then there is all the foam sheeting that you can use to pack Christmas presents!!

I have a question for those of you who own a rotisserie, what motor did you use?   I know that the OneGrill is recommended but there are a couple of questions about it.  #1.  Which model of motor, the 4pm08 or the 4pm05??  #2.  Which mounting bracket do you have, since I have the BB32 I suspect it could be different for the other models of KK but I need direction for sure!

Thanks one and all :-)

I was the guinea pig for One Grill for their shaft width, etc., for the 23" and I have their complete set-up including basket system, battery operated/reversible motor, 120v motor, etc.   

I've used my rotisserie a bunch of times for a variety of foods.   But, and I may be solo ranger on this opinion/experience, given how incredible the results are with any food on the KK (limited air flow when heat soaked and taking advantage of radiant cooking method) I just don't bother with the roti anymore.   I've done too many chickens both ways to count and the roti just doesn't offer a better bird.   Ditto for ribs.   And then there's the set-up and clean up time.   

For me the roti just occupies space on the top shelf in the garage.   

Just my 2 cents and maybe all its worth.

47 minutes ago, FotonDrv said:

I have a question for those of you who own a rotisserie, what motor did you use?   I know that the OneGrill is recommended but there are a couple of questions about it.  #1.  Which model of motor, the 4pm08 or the 4pm05??  #2.  Which mounting bracket do you have, since I have the BB32 I suspect it could be different for the other models of KK but I need direction for sure!

Most of us went with the 4pm05. And as I posted elsewhere, Dennis makes the mounting bracket for the motor, not OneGrill. You should have gotten it with the other hardware (shafts, etc.) for the rotisserie basket. 

I hear yah, Dan. I'm equally torn between a spatchcocked bird on the upper grate and a rotisserie one. Each has its own subtle attributes. It's difficult for me to say that I like one better than the other, flavorwise. The spatchcocked one is definitely simpler to clean up after, for sure. Which reminds me that I still need to hit up Lowes and get that big plastic tube for soaking the grates, drip pan, and rotisserie basket in PBW.

I would just go with the 4pm05 it is more than adequate to handle anything you put on the Komodo (45 or 50 lbs unbalanced). It is also built really well. 

Definitely need to go with the KK adjustable mounting bracket from Dennis. The adjustable feature is really needed to facilitate inserting the small motor shaft while mounting the motor. 

Thanks for all the replies guys!  And I bet I have the bracket for the motor in the pile of goodies that came off the pallet.

I am inclined to not use the roti because of the hassle to clean and deploy into the machine but having it and not using it makes more sense to me than not having it and finally needing it.

I can just think of the whole young lamb turning slowing and I sip my favorite brew and drool :-)  And then the obligatory turkey on Christmas or Thanksgiving or both...  A turkey stuffed with wild rice and veggies is pretty darn good.