Eddie mac

Lump charcoal

I've tried many, currently my "go to" is Rockwood. I like it over Fogo, which has too big of pieces for my liking (I'm talking very large chunks that need to be broken up to burn well.) Royal Oak lump is a back-up, since it's cheap and I can get it several places locally; only one BBQ store carries the Rockwood, and it's way across town, so it's a journey for me to go there. My previous favorite was Weekend Warrior, but they went out of business due to a fire in their facility. Humphries is good, but it's hard for me to get without paying out the nose for shipping. I love Dennis' cocochar, but I tend to hoard my boxes, as it's cost prohibitive for me to get more. I only use it on very long cooks, like butts and briskets. 

Check out the Naked Whiz's database for lump charcoal - http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

1 hour ago, tony b said:

I've tried many, currently my "go to" is Rockwood. I like it over Fogo, which has too big of pieces for my liking (I'm talking very large chunks that need to be broken up to burn well.) Royal Oak lump is a back-up, since it's cheap and I can get it several places locally; only one BBQ store carries the Rockwood, and it's way across town, so it's a journey for me to go there. My previous favorite was Weekend Warrior, but they went out of business due to a fire in their facility. Humphries is good, but it's hard for me to get without paying out the nose for shipping. I love Dennis' cocochar, but I tend to hoard my boxes, as it's cost prohibitive for me to get more. I only use it on very long cooks, like butts and briskets. 

Check out the Naked Whiz's database for lump charcoal - http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Tony I have checked out nakedwiz many times most of that stuff not sold in my  Area 

Since I’ve had my Kamado I’ve only cooked with coffee char. I ordered a ton of charcoal , some coffee char and some coconut Shar from Dennis and had a few guys that wanted to partake in sharing it. But I still had a lot left. But it’s good to read this post so I’ll know what to buy if I ever run out LOL  this form is so informative. 

Stay away from Cowboy - it's total crap - scrap lumber that burns up in a flash. 

I used the Whiz's database to scope out new brands that I run across before I buy them to see if he's rated them and what he thinks. Like you said, many of those listed aren't widely available (or discontinued.) If you look closely, many of them are just re-branded Royal Oak, especially supermarket brands and even BGE. 

Another vote for Rockwood.  They now ship direct if you can’t find it locally.  You can also order online through Ace Hardware and pick up in store.  Shipping to store is quick.  I placed my recent order late Friday night and the store had it Monday.

In a pinch I’ll use Royal Oak.

I've been using Humphreys and coincidently just yesterday I looked it up on the Naked Whiz and found it was a Recommended brand. It's made in Missouri and used in industrial applications such as throwing over molten metals to use as insulator and also as a inhibitor of Oxygen. Over the past few years I've been a recipient of free 40lb bags of this lump so I use it liberally. However, all good things come to an end and my stash is markably a lot smaller, {heaven forbid}. Soon I will looking for bags in stores and will have to pay to cook my food, a sin just to think of it. I guess Royal Oak will be my choice when that eventuality arises because Humphreys is not to be found, but for today it's throw another lump on the fire. 

I've tried Humphrey's and liked it, but it's costly to have shipped here and no one locally carries it. 

Some good news, I recently scored a couple of bags of Wicked Good Charcoal's Weekend Warrior at Hawgeyes BBQ in Ankeny. I thought they were out of business after a major fire destroyed/heavily damage their facility. So look for them at your local ACE Hardware, it really is "wicked good." From their webpage "

You can order the same great "Weekend Warrior Blend" bags through your local Ace Hardware Store. If you don't see WGC on their shelves (or website) speak with the Owner or Store Manager and request that he/she order bag(s) of Wicked Good Charcoal through their Ace warehouse ... Ace Item No. 8322786.

• Like 1

For years I've mainly used RO. Decent enough, cheap and locally available. 

Recently I've been using Nature-Glo from my new found meat market. It's clearly rebranded RO and labeled Food Service - Not For Resale, but who really cares about that. It costs about 10¢ more per lb than RO but I'm giving my money to M&T Meats instead of Walmart or Home Depot so I'm kewl paying a little more. 

12 hours ago, ckreef said:

For years I've mainly used RO. Decent enough, cheap and locally available. 

Recently I've been using Nature-Glo from my new found meat market. It's clearly rebranded RO and labeled Food Service - Not For Resale, but who really cares about that. It costs about 10¢ more per lb than RO but I'm giving my money to M&T Meats instead of Walmart or Home Depot so I'm kewl paying a little more. 

Thought you were making your own, at least that's what I saw in the archives. I hope it was you, my apologize if I'm mistaken.

8 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Thought you were making your own, at least that's what I saw in the archives. I hope it was you, my apologize if I'm mistaken.

I have made my own in the past (and that was probably me) but would want  to redo my retort if I really wanted to do it  on a regular basis. 

Edited by ckreef