Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Eddie mac

Lump charcoal

If I’m not using Dennis’ Coffeewood lump, I like Fogo. You can get by with Royal Oak, though. I’ll use RO on occasion, but it tends to be more sooty and smoky when first lit. 

I've tried many, currently my "go to" is Rockwood. I like it over Fogo, which has too big of pieces for my liking (I'm talking very large chunks that need to be broken up to burn well.) Royal Oak lump is a back-up, since it's cheap and I can get it several places locally; only one BBQ store carries the Rockwood, and it's way across town, so it's a journey for me to go there. My previous favorite was Weekend Warrior, but they went out of business due to a fire in their facility. Humphries is good, but it's hard for me to get without paying out the nose for shipping. I love Dennis' cocochar, but I tend to hoard my boxes, as it's cost prohibitive for me to get more. I only use it on very long cooks, like butts and briskets. 

Check out the Naked Whiz's database for lump charcoal - http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Lots of votes for Rockwood. I haven't tried it, but I think they sell it at the Dizzy Pig store which is local to me in Manassas. May have to give it a go.

1 hour ago, tony b said:

I've tried many, currently my "go to" is Rockwood. I like it over Fogo, which has too big of pieces for my liking (I'm talking very large chunks that need to be broken up to burn well.) Royal Oak lump is a back-up, since it's cheap and I can get it several places locally; only one BBQ store carries the Rockwood, and it's way across town, so it's a journey for me to go there. My previous favorite was Weekend Warrior, but they went out of business due to a fire in their facility. Humphries is good, but it's hard for me to get without paying out the nose for shipping. I love Dennis' cocochar, but I tend to hoard my boxes, as it's cost prohibitive for me to get more. I only use it on very long cooks, like butts and briskets. 

Check out the Naked Whiz's database for lump charcoal - http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Tony I have checked out nakedwiz many times most of that stuff not sold in my  Area 

Since I’ve had my Kamado I’ve only cooked with coffee char. I ordered a ton of charcoal , some coffee char and some coconut Shar from Dennis and had a few guys that wanted to partake in sharing it. But I still had a lot left. But it’s good to read this post so I’ll know what to buy if I ever run out LOL  this form is so informative. 

Stay away from Cowboy - it's total crap - scrap lumber that burns up in a flash. 

I used the Whiz's database to scope out new brands that I run across before I buy them to see if he's rated them and what he thinks. Like you said, many of those listed aren't widely available (or discontinued.) If you look closely, many of them are just re-branded Royal Oak, especially supermarket brands and even BGE. 

Tony tried cowboy it is junk I have 4 boxes of cocochar from Dennis  actually  2 from Dennis 2 from Ebay yes Ebay for 19.00 for both will try my first low and slow