Troble

Tacos de Adobada/Tacos Al Pastor

Yes the paste is to make the adobada sauce. That box contains everything you need to make the dish in this thread plus some extra stuff, but the primary driver of the box was this thread and recipe...hence why it’s all In here 

Find some tortillas, get a pork butt, go to page 1 of this thread watch the video. Make the adobada tacos. 

@tony b you can use the paste along with dried chilies to make an adobada sauce to be used on anything, chicken, beef, whatever floats your boat. The sauce is super versatile the hard part is sourcing the ingredients. Any recipe that calls for an adobo sauce will utilize what’s in that box 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@MacKenzie, @Basher, @tekobo your boxes are in transit

@Tyrus & @jonj yours will go out next week. I had to order more achiote paste from Amazon

For all of you my recommendation is to make the Adobada sauce. In each package should be enough materials for two large batches of sauce. You can then use that sauce on chicken, pork or beef and it should make any of that food taste great. I make one batch of sauce for a 9lb pork butt when I made the tacos, and it's more than enough sauce, so that should give you some scale. Any type of recipe that calls for adobo, adobada or al pastor sauce/marinated will work. What I gave you was the ingredients to make those flavors at home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@tony b @MacKenzie @Basher @Tyrus @jonj

it should be noted that your box will also allow you to make the dish I made tonight which is my wife’s favorite dish from Peru. It’s called Aji de Gallina. It’s basically a spicy Peruvian chicken curry like dish. I can provide recipe if interested but it’s a non KK cook 

1AF2785E-9BCC-4FCF-92E2-72313245EDDB.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi @Troble, I am sorry that the pictures were so poor.  It was our first contact with friends post lockdown.  We were only allowed to eat in the garden so it was a bit of a rushed event, trying to cook and eat before it got too cold outdoors.  I cooked the meat on the 32 and the flour tortillas on the 23.  It all went well and I served them with pineapple, pickled cucumber, an arbol chilli sauce and other things that i cannot remember.  I do remember that I forgot to serve slices of lime. Alchohol and happiness induced forgetfulness.   Next time!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ok Troble, your not going to like me. I began and finished the cook, but my photography fell a bit short. I followed the video for a back up and covered my bases well, I certainly did everything he did, and better. Thing is I got a few picks, but with all the prep and cutting I forgot about the camera. When the pictures were processed they didn't look presentable, anyhow here they are. We did incorporate the pineapple, cilantro, red onion and even some some salsa for the dressing. It was all super good and my daughter and her husband were over to partake. Now you would think, take a picture, nope...stuck in the winter mode, little function. I'm working on the box to incorporate the contents into a cook, Mex/American/Polish cuisine.   

DSCF3392.JPG

DSCF3394.JPG

DSCF3395.JPG

• Like 5

Thank you Troble.
Despite our customs destroying part of your package for fear of Khapra Beetle( whatever that is). I thought they had let the mull through- turns out it was oregano and what a lovely floral smell it has. It’s definitely different to our oregano.
I spent the last few hours searching Annatto and Achiote recipes and re read your posts. I’ve never seen this before despite our land masses being connected 150 million years ago!
I’ll be cooking this lamb shoulder( it’s 2.5kg, that’s 5.5lb) on the weekend for guests
4c7158c882eb6d759c92efe2df9a478f.jpg
and wanted to check I’m on the right track with flavour profiles.
The plan was to marinate this for 30 hours before KK low n slow to pull apart with rice, re fried beans, coriander salad, jalapeños.
Here is my marinade mix
cee03417e3eb2b10d764f1d7a4a27482.jpg
Plus some fresh lime and orange juice.
All recipes have garlic, pepper, cumin, orange, lime, coriander seeds and the obvious annatto paste.
Some have cloves, cinnamon, star anise, paprika, Mexican chilli.
I now have all this apart from Mexican chillies.
Am I on the right track, or have I complicated this?
My mind is telling me this combo will work, I’m just not sure what Annatto is bringing to the party?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2