tekobo

This Little Pig...

43 minutes ago, Basher said:

Troble you are not cooking for 20...... there’s another 50 here watching........ no pressure!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been telling my wife that I’ve been training for this cook for most of the last year plus planning/thinking about it now for well over 6 weeks. I’m fortunate that @tekobowent first and provided some great intel to help me. Everyone is asking what they can bring and my wife thinks I’m taking on too much and will get stressed but I told her that it’s not gonna be an issue cause I’m going to cook a lot of things early and I don’t want anyone bringing dishes cause I want to serve all the food. 

this is what cooking is all about for me we have our families, and best friends over. It’s been a long years we haven’t been able to this type of party for over a year so if there was ever a time to go big or go home it’s now. I’m prepared and confident for my cook, the only danger I now is gonna be the flip of the pig, which I’m likely gonna do solo but I’ll feel it out and if I can’t do it I’ll cook it on its belly the whole time. I have plan A & plan B

one other note is I requested people bring beer, wine or specifically if they wanted to they could bring this delicious cocktail that we discovered last weekend “Cutwater Spirits Mango Margarita”, I’m not one for premade margaritas but this particular beverage is absolutely divine, and  at 12.5% alcohol per can it packs a punch. We rimmed our cups with this chili lime salt my wife found at Trader Joe’s and poured the can over ice and it’s absolutely magnificent. Both Plan A & Plan B involve me not cracking any of those until after all food is served. Highly recommend though if one sees them on the shelf 

EC457FEA-C3AD-46F8-B6FD-E122041E6E0A.png

Edited by Troble
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I think you have this very well thought out. Your guests will surely be pleased with everything and a whole pig presentation is something few people actually see in person. Best wishes for a terrific party!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Made my Mac & cheese and beans today, as well as the bread pudding. All in foil trays with foil on top of them ready to go to oven/kk 

soaked the pinto beans Friday night in water, sweet onion, sugar, chili powder, cumin, salt & black pepper. Put them on dimmer around 7am and added bacon, brown sugar & Worcester. Let it simmer till 5pm, stirring regularly 

Haven’t made my Mac & Cheese in years it’s really rich, but awesome. Pasta shells with sour cream, cheddar, havarti, ricotta & Parmesan, sautéed some red onion and applewood smoked bacon, added petite green peas and a little bit of mustard powder. Will finish tomorrow in oven and then broil with bread crumbs for a nice crust and probably finish the beans and Mac & cheese in the KK and get some smoke going 

made 3 trays of bread pudding which I’ll top with a vanilla/bourbon sauce tomorrow 

took the pig out and injected the hams, shoulders & belly. Used Slap Yo Daddy All Purpose rub which I’ve always made the knock off version for my pork butts but it’s the first rub I’ve ever used and it’s my go to, although I’ve never used the actual thing, thought this was a good time 

loaded the KK up with coco char, gonna get things going around 4:30am/5am. Fridge is loaded with .394 Pale Ales & Mango Margaritas. I’m ready to do this 

132EE211-E598-4C5F-8788-CE8D817D6089.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 5

5am and the pig is on the KK @ 250

note removing the eyeballs in the dark is not a wids move, thought I could pop them out with a butter knife but had to saw through some flesh with a steak knife, should’ve done it yesterday when I was injecting & rubbing 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 1

5.5 hours in ham and shoulders are 170. Flipped it sprinkled some rub on it then sauced it with the sweet bourbon sauce, then flipped it back over, opened up the vents to get it over 300 to finish and crisp the skin. So far so good 

8DA41C7D-C6D7-4815-8137-83435AF47527.jpeg

• Like 8

@C6Bill yes that’s what I did. I planned to keep it belly up but I was texting with Dennis at the time and he told me to go for the crispy skin color so I put it back belly side down. There’s not enough meat on the suckling pig to really do the belly like I had thought or hoped (after watching Rodney Scott) so I think it was the right call 

all that being said the whole pig looks impressive but I struggle to think it’s worth the effort vs doing a pork butt, it was a little juicer and softer but I doubt most of my guests would know the difference. Lot more expensive too

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Troble said:

@C6Bill all that being said the whole pig looks impressive but I struggle to think it’s worth the effort vs doing a pork butt, it was a little juicer and softer but I doubt most of my guests would know the difference. Lot more expensive too

Thank you, I am doing one 7/1, it is my first day of retirement so need to cook something a little special. I appreciate you sharing all the details. It gives me a fighting chance at success lol

• Like 4