tekobo

Chicken Fried Veal Schnitzel

Non Americans like me find the concept of chicken fried steak just plain weird.  That said, I had the chance to get my own back with this recipe.  We have these really lovely chickens from Italy that drip a really lovely yellow fat when when they are being cooked.  I collect it up and there it is in the bowl to the right in the picture below.  My very own chicken fried schnitzel is actually fried in chicken schmaltz.  Yay!  

The fixings in the big white bowl to the front are what you find in a Caesar salad, including anchovies. 

IMG_0891.thumb.jpeg.978ec4d8961a5e00b9f0230a4c4dfe23.jpeg

Schnitzel frying.  I was going to grill the lettuce on the 16KK but it took too long to heat up and I ended up cooking it on a griddle in the IDK. 

IMG_0894.thumb.jpeg.a5997da7726e3b97d1b780a4515482d8.jpeg

Yummy salad. 

IMG_0895.thumb.jpeg.2f99b9b49a5f79972e1e835dc3916ee7.jpeg

Super tasty chicken fried schnitzel and grilled Caesar salad.  Making me hungry.  

IMG_0896.thumb.jpeg.94053ba4da7b58ee7f4ac26b2ef28081.jpeg

• Like 8

I'm also a fan of NOT eating chicken fried steak. But I have to admit that all your food looks tasty, tekobo! That white can with the red top looks like a seasoning they sell here called "Slap Ya Mama" but when I zoom in, I see what looks like a cat's tail on it. Anyway, wonderful looking food!

91shKaszArL._AC_UL640_QL65_.jpg

Edited by Poochie
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, David Chang said:

@tekobo this is chicken fried chicken.

Great idea.  I am sure this would be great with a bit of chicken thigh.  In this case it was a veal escalope.  In Germany they beat it so thin that you get a piece that covers your whole plate and is served with a nice dollop of potato salad.  "Foreign" food is often best eaten in its home country but chicken fat did make my version taste good.  

No disrespect intended to chicken fried steaks, just a weird naming convention to get ones head around. 

@Poochie I had forgotten that KK folk are way too observant.  What you spotted on my kitchen counter was this:

IMG_1121.thumb.jpeg.1ef7abadc609c6e56d2ba9733839084a.jpeg

We have packs all round the house.  Our cats love these dried treats so much we call them kitty crack. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

So much going on in this tread! 

@tekobo - lovely cook. 2 thumbs up 👍👍on the grilled Ceasar salad - with anchovies! And 3 thumbs up 👍👍👍on the schmaltz (bonus thumb for calling it by its real name!) "Chicken fried" anything is awesome! I was more intrigued by that bottle than the kitty treats! What were you drinking?

@Poochie - Slap Ya Mama/Slap Yo Daddy/Slap a ## up side the head! It's all good! 🤣

• Thanks 1

Last time I was in Germany Tekebo a bottle of Riesling accompanied this tasty morsel, sitting alongside with a  Koelsch beer and it was served with gravy. I like yours all golden brown and crispy, but you'll have to work harder on convincing me my salad has to go in the oven.  

• Thanks 1

Cooked cos lettuce is a thing of beauty @Tyrus.  Don't knock it until you've tried it!

@tony b you should know better than to ask me about a beer bottle.  I don't drink beer.  I did buy that one for my husband from the same place I buy the Spanish Iberico pork: https://www.bascofinefoods.com/cerveza-er-boqueron/

Totally spaced on the beer thing - oops!

Beer made with seawater - and not pasteurized - a recipe for an intestinal disaster.

"The only beer in the world brewed using sea water for unparalleled purity"

I don't know what sea they are referring to, but I'd never refer to that water as "pure!" Fish do poop you know! 🤣

• Haha 3

On 3/9/2022 at 7:17 PM, tony b said:

Totally spaced on the beer thing - oops!

Beer made with seawater - and not pasteurized - a recipe for an intestinal disaster.

"The only beer in the world brewed using sea water for unparalleled purity"

I don't know what sea they are referring to, but I'd never refer to that water as "pure!" Fish do poop you know! 🤣

Ha. You made the mistake of reading the blurb @tony b.  We went the experiential route.  Basco sell three types of beer.  I bought all three.  The Husband tried them and asked me to order more of this one.  Done.  

• Like 1