David Chang

my first pastrami

first time making pastrami following this recipe. i used a half cup less salt and kept the point on. wonder if that will be an issue. 

also should i brine for six days or longer? and when finished how long do you rinse the salt off with water?

i curious how its going to turn out because my briskets in the past have been dry, but i’ve never made one on the kk. 

0A39541C-EFA5-4CC7-A5B4-74C0C2BD7C1C.jpeg

1058D076-5D5E-4C1A-8CBF-C6CCB5BDFD67.jpeg

0439663D-1B7D-46C9-9524-CB31D3BBDED1.jpeg

• Like 2

I pulled a big chunk of something out of the freezer last week, been sitting in there for about a year wrapped nicely in a vacum. So it was, and now it's gone, yes a pastrami with mustard and slice of cheese is fantastic. I believe I approached mine just like a brisket to cook, wrapped in paper, and all red on the inside upon slicing. Go for it, you won't be disappointed. You never know what's in the freezer until you start moving things around, it's almost like Xmas.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I usually cheat and start with a pre-brined corned beef brisket (good sales right after St. Pat's day). I usually soak it in clean water overnight - change the water several times. Then slather on the mustard and liberally coat in fresh cracked black pepper and crushed coriander seeds. Then I cook it just like any other brisket on the KK, except that I usually use a milder smoking wood, like a hickory. 

Starting from scratch, I'd brine it for at least 3 or 4 days, up to a week. Then continue as above for the rest of it.

• Like 4

this is cooked and sliced cold. what do you guys think? the meat breaks apart in fine lines. the underside has some dry patches that are not good to eat. i used the double layer drip pan as a deflector. i did not wrap. 

i pulled at 205f on the flat. 12.5 hours @ 250f

the taste is very good and the cure went all the way through. 6 days in the brine.

97ED034B-6DAC-45C9-8950-FAC667D55BB1.jpeg

60365225-C00A-426D-83CA-EF3665A37245.jpeg

• Like 5

The first time I make something I try to stay somewhat true to the recipe so I know what to adjust the next time. You didn’t use all the salt and you didn’t take off the point and you didn’t wrap,  and you cooked 4 additional hours. As far as dry spots were there spots that did not stay submerged in the brine ? But it still looks tasty 👍

What? No pickle?  That looks tasty as you stated, now if you had placed it in the frig, firmed it up and later sliced it on a conventional deli slicer razor thin it would open a new road. However, you certainly can't beat that action shot. What kind of mustard is that, you know sometime half the battle is having a good mustard, I like em all, some more than others. Spot on color for the Pastrami, and a crusty bread, decadent and sinful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C6Bill said:

The first time I make something I try to stay somewhat true to the recipe so I know what to adjust the next time. You didn’t use all the salt and you didn’t take off the point and you didn’t wrap,  and you cooked 4 additional hours. As far as dry spots were there spots that did not stay submerged in the brine ? But it still looks tasty 👍

i think it was dry in certain spots because it was close to the edge where there was no drip pan to shield from the heat?

in the entire cook, i just opened the lid once, but i did not rotate.

i don't know if i went 4 hours over, but i just cooked by temp. 205 in the flat. when i took it out, it jiggled like a jello mold. 

made some rye deli bread, will steam this to warm it up next time.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

What? No pickle?  That looks tasty as you stated, now if you had placed it in the frig, firmed it up and later sliced it on a conventional deli slicer razor thin it would open a new road. However, you certainly can't beat that action shot. What kind of mustard is that, you know sometime half the battle is having a good mustard, I like em all, some more than others. Spot on color for the Pastrami, and a crusty bread, decadent and sinful.

it's just some keto mustard i had left over. not my favourit, just a bottle i want to finish. i totally forgot i have pickles in the fridge. 😂

i'm going to try and make rubens tomorrow..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, C6Bill said:

Sorry David, when i said 4 hours over. I was only speaking to what was in the video. He cooked it for 8 hours you cooked it for 12.

yeah, i didn't wrap and cooked through the stall. i'm guessing that contributed to the longer cook time.

and i didn't turn the heat up to 300, just stayed 250 entire time..

Edited by David Chang

3 minutes ago, C6Bill said:

So in other words you did not follow that recipe in any way shape or form LOL

ehhh, i took a few liberties..😂

actually, i was not at home for the most of the cook, and i have an assistant that would have probably dropped the pastrami on the floor if i asked her to cook it to spec..

Edited by David Chang
  • Haha 1