brett

BBQ Guru replacement options

Mine is just a modified version of a few I have tried. I adjust the ingredients as needed. In this case I will double everything.

Brisket Chili 

Celery -3 cups

Jalapeño - 3 small

Red Onion - 3

Sauté the vegetables in vegetable oil or bacon grease until translucent.  

Then add 4 tablespoons Meat Church spices and  sauté’ with the veggies for 5 minutes.

Add all to the pot

Then add:

Tomato sauce 14 oz

Diced tomatoes 45 oz

Red wine vinegar 1 cup

Beef Broth - low sodium 3 cups

V8 juice - 12 oz

brisket 4 lb

Bring up to a slight boil, then turn heat down and simmer until brisket starts falling apart about 3 hours, typically 8 hours or more. 

Garnish - Cheddar Cheese/White Onion

• Like 2

On 2/10/2023 at 11:31 AM, BARDSLJR said:

I used to compete in the chilli  cookoffs in Texas and Louisiana in the late 80's- early 90s. Pendery's in Fort Worth was my go-to for high quality spices and pure ground roast chile's.

Cool! I used to judge CASI competitions back in the day up here in IA. A big SECOND on Pendery's for chili powders. I generally use Penzey's for dried whole chiles. 

I have used smoked brisket in my chili with good results recently. My "standard method" is to grill my sirloin steaks first, then cube and/or grind them for the chili. I like that kiss of smoke that grilling adds over just browning the meat in the pot. Yeah, you don't get the fond in the bottom of the pot, but it's easy to make up for that with some beef stock. 

Good, a no bean chilli, but is there another kind?  I hope that's not all for yourself Mr. C6Bill. I've often wondered, are you adding the good brisket that everyone loved or the brisket that was a bit dry yet well tasting to the chilli or does it make a difference....?  Like Tekebo, whom might be salivating in delicious goodies in preparation for Super Sunday and really doesn't have time to walk away from menu, I find myself in her court Brett. I find cooking an art, one I'll never master but able to persevere with tools as eyes, nose and a simple temp gauge. Then, I wonder again how did the chefs of yesteryear accomplish all those dishes simply on instinct. Not for me, I'm ahhh....old school

Edited by Tyrus

Tyrus, most Texans and most CASI (competitive) chili cooks would say that chili with anything but meat (in other words, no beans) in it is not really "chili". It might be something, and it might be something good to eat,  but it is not really "chili". Chili is meat, spices, broth or water, and maybe some tomato sauce or paste. No beans.  And if it is made with chicken or turkey or beans/vegetables, it is not "chili". Not that the others can't be good to eat, no one is saying that.

Tony, you're right, Penzey's also has generally very high quality spices. Pendery's my go-to, though. For a commercial chili blend, I still think Gebhardt's, a very old brand, is the best.

• Like 2

Well the brisket was done in 11 hours so it went in the cooler for a few hours. I got up at 5 AM today and started the chili, and it was a great chili until I put beans in it lol

My lady friend likes beans in it so she gets beans in it. It’s the least I can do as we will be celebrating Valentine’s Day tomorrow ;) 

And @tyrus there is no dry part of my brisket.  And this is a large batch so 90% of that brisket is in the pot 😀

Happy Valentines Day everyone !!!!!!

1F36BAA8-CACC-4095-B34C-EE44930BA59C.jpeg

AF92B007-BC91-49BF-87A9-4F8263079A07.jpeg

66F0B514-163B-4180-856D-AEEC956A7607.jpeg

A7D45661-79B5-453A-BD22-464B2FD387B6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@C6Bill - you can always serve the beans "on the side" and let folks put them in their bowl with the chili, if they so choose. That's a totally acceptable alternative, just like some folks like to add cheese, onions, sour cream, etc. to their bowl of red. Everyone gets what they like, while still preserving the actual chili for the purists. Just a suggestion.

• Thanks 1

I have owned

1) BBQ guru cyber ground

2) fireboard2 pro

3) thermoworks signals

All three with the fan to control temp.  All three work great at maintaining temp for 24plus hours.  You can't go wrong with any of them.  You can send info to cloud with all three but the guru is a pain to setup.  The other two just require the app

I like the thermoworks the best.  Mainly because it is rain proof.   The other two I had to keep in a zip lock and I was always worried something would happen. You can get straight probes that will fit through the probe hole.  I love the color coded rings so you can easily identify what's what. The notes feature is a bit lackluster and you can't save pictures.  

The fireboard is well made and the battery last forever even when powering the fan.  You can use thermocouple probes so the accuracy is rock solid (but only 3.  So pit plus two meats).  The app will run the Temps through a algorithm to predict when the cook is done which is cool.  The notes section is great.  Your notes are saved individually at the time they are done.  So you know exactly  when you put the meat on or spritzed or whatever and you can save pictures to the cook as well.

The guru was state of the art 10 years ago but..

On 11/16/2023 at 10:21 AM, Jason S said:

So, will either the Thermoworks Singal or the Foreboad 2 Drive work with my existing Pit Viper fan and probes that I currently use with my BBQ Guru Cyber Q?

Yes, the Fireboard 2 Drive will work with your Pit Viper. The probes should work but I cannot vouch from personal experience. 

Edited by Cheesehead_Griller

20 hours ago, Poochie said:

Hey Tony, try cooking that chili on the KK. I've done it several times and the kiss of smoke you're looking for is no problem. After you believe it's had enough smoke, just put the lid on the pot and let it cook. I could use a bowl of it right now.

I've never cooked the pot of red on the KK, but I have grilled the sirloin steak on it before cubing it up for the chili. Simple S&P on it, since it's going into the chili pot with all the other spices. Works well. 

• Like 1

I know this thread is a little old but wanted to see if anyone would suggest anything different in terms of a control unit and fan. I think it's time to retire my Rock's BBQ stoker. From what I read, learning towards a fireboard 2 with a pit viper fan. 

Thanks,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vkl said:

I know this thread is a little old but wanted to see if anyone would suggest anything different in terms of a control unit and fan. I think it's time to retire my Rock's BBQ stoker. From what I read, learning towards a fireboard 2 with a pit viper fan. 

Thanks,

Yes, Fireboard 2 Drive or Pro and a Pit Viper would be the best. I have the FB Pro and Pit Viper. Love it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vkl said:

Thanks,

It's a good combo, that or the Thermoworks Billows with damper. Those seem to be the two most of the folks here use now.

• Like 2