BowtieBill

New member to the family

1 hour ago, David Chang said:

welcome bowtiebill!

no need for grillgrates in kk, unless you really want them 👌

Thank you David!

Regarding the GrillGrates. A lot of grills do not need them. But once you start using them, they are very nice. Both the grate side and the griddle side. Just curious if anyone here has tried them and in what configuration. I have some that I can just lay on top of the existing grates, which I may end up doing whenever I want to use them.

On 4/28/2023 at 11:19 AM, BowtieBill said:

The Humphreys that I have is similar

Just up the road a piece in Maine is where the factory sits. Insulated box and a quality piece. I seriously thought of one, but chose another direction when I purchased,... and that purchase sits in the garage waiting for opening day. Insulated cookers have an ease of use that makes the task almost hands free, what color did you choose?

44 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

Just up the road a piece in Maine is where the factory sits. Insulated box and a quality piece. I seriously thought of one, but chose another direction when I purchased,... and that purchase sits in the garage waiting for opening day. Insulated cookers have an ease of use that makes the task almost hands free, what color did you choose?

I went with Candy Apple for the body and Gunmetal Grey for the doors. I wanted a cooker that I would not need to tend like my stick burner, and hold a decent amount of meat. They do make a quality product. It is a great product, very well made. And heavy. I have had it since 2016, very happy with my choice.

What did you go with?

Humphreys.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BowtieBill said:

What did you go with?

I've been very busy these last few weeks building a Pavillion, my wife wanted something permanent and bigger. I'm waiting on the steel roof from the manufacturor in Penn and when it arrives it'll go up and then maybe I'll have time to access and assess the new cooker. Like you and many others one cooker just don't slice the bread, you need a few for special applications, size of cook, enjoyment etc.  It's then I'll reveal my choice and reasoning behind the choice. Sorry, but your Humphrey's looks great, like the color and the Gunmetal contrast.

• Like 2

On 4/28/2023 at 11:27 AM, BowtieBill said:

Thanks C6!

I assume your name is for a Vette? FYI, my handle is not from wearing neckties. But from a passion for a particular brand of cars.

A dozen years ago or so I started using C6Bill as a screen name while I was driving a C6 Vette :) Now I’m an Oldsmobile guy😆

IMG_5980.jpeg

• Like 7

On 4/29/2023 at 2:55 PM, BowtieBill said:

Do you recommend doing this prior to the high heat/venting process? Hope that is the right terminology.

Yes, get to know your grill before embarking on the venting. You can do as many cooks under 350F as you'd like before needing to do the venting. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 9:33 AM, BowtieBill said:

Klose pits are awesome. The welds look like a stack of dimes laid over. Very nice pits. Back in the day, I think they were the best out there. Now a days, there are quite a few offset pit manufacturers that are very good. But I will still consider another Klose if/when I decided to go bigger.

I’m a big Smoking Dad bbq fan.  He bought all four of the Smoke North stick burners. If I were in the market for one, I’d give their second gen smokers a serious look as well as Klose. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dono said:

That’s exciting. Take plenty of pictures. Do you plan to proudly display the Komodo Kamado brace pieces on the crate?  

Yes, I'm very excited. This, and the crew is getting close to finishing up the BBQ Island/paver patio. I have to wait until the Granite top is laid before setting the Kamado in place. That will be on the 24th.

Interesting idea about the crate pieces. You got me thinking.......

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dono said:

I’m a big Smoking Dad bbq fan.  He bought all four of the Smoke North stick burners. If I were in the market for one, I’d give their second gen smokers a serious look as well as Klose. 

I never heard of Smoking Dad or Smoke North pits. Just gave them a quick look. Seem nice, though I did not see anything large enough for me. Do they not have an air intake, just the Firebox door opening?

I will have to spend some time checking both out.

There are a lot of good pit builders now a days. I like BBQ pits by JJ as well. And of course there is always Jambo.

• Like 1

Hello forum, I am upgrading from a Primo lg300 set in a big beautiful stainless steel cart. After I saw an older ultimate 23 on Facebook marketplace. It hit my feed and I thought it was one of those scams posts bc it was too good of a deal. I put a bid a few minutes after the guy posted it(lucky me) and he accepted(luckier me). When I went to pick it up he said he had dozens of higher bids but was a man of his word. Her are some pics note everything is original so you will be surprised when you see the main and the top grills.

20230620_183315.jpg

20230620_183341.jpg

20230620_183417.jpg

20230620_183450.jpg

20230620_183627.jpg

20230620_183641.jpg

20230620_214001.jpg

20230620_214020.jpg

20230620_214128.jpg

• Like 5