BARDSLJR

Further reflections on trying to perfect babyback ribs.....

Hey, guys (and gals), I am back, for better or worse, after a misadventure relating to my change of email addresses. The University finally took away my old email that I had used for nearly 20 years and now my new and permanent email, should you need it, is "[email protected]."

But on to ribs: one is always trying to make sure they are tender and juicy, and done but not dry. One wants to have a good ratio of smokiness without being overpowering. So my latest adjustments:

1) It take my 32" KK, using the Fireboard controller, pretty much an hour to ramp up from cold to my target temperature, 225*. In the meanwhile, there is all that nice smoke....why not use it? We know that the meat absorbs the smoke better when the surface is cold, and virtually stops absorbing smoke when the surface temperature reaches 135 or so. Why wait till the smoker is at final cooking temperature (225) to put the meat in? I use apple wood for ribs, anyway,it is a good match for pork ribs, though apple and is sweeter and LIGHTER than some other wood choices. Why not put the meat in early and give it a longer extended time for exposure to the smoke? (Also more air turbulence passing through during the ramp-up period than when the KK has settled at 225 and the Fireboard is just giving it a little push from the fan now and then.) I am using the 2/1/1 method (of course), and I start the clock for the first segment when I hit 225*.

2) Moist cooking during the second segment is to my thinking, maybe the most important stage for getting the meat cooked through AND keeping it moist. I had started some time ago cooking during this hour with the meat side down. Now I also include a liberal sprinkling of dark brown sugar in the foil where the meat side will be placed, a couple of large pats of unsalted butter, and , and very liberal spritzing of water up and down the foil. I also turn the temp up to 235* for this hour.

3) I turn the temp back down to 225* for the last hour, when the ribs come out of the foil for finishing (though admittedly, it takes some time for the temp to fall.)

Yesterdays ribs were a success, and I would have taken photos but it was snowing quite a bit off and on. Yes, in beautiful, "300 sunny days a year" Denver we are having a weather s**tshow" of a weekend, 4 to 8" of snow around town, high of maybe 30 today......The sun comes out and it disappears fast , by Wednesday it will be mid 50's again (48* for Halloween Tuesday), and we will be back to beautiful fall weather. This is MOST unusual.

It's nice to be back.Thank you, Dennis, for all the help.

• Like 6

I find that the first smoke coming out of the KK or any other smoker, isn't the best. It's usually cloudy/white smoke that is slightly bitter. If you wait an hour or so, you'll have more of a nice blue smoke. I baste ribs once during the first 2 hours and then 30 minutes before I take them off, I'll put a thin coat of sauce on them if that's the plan. If no sauce, then I'll  baste them again with an hour to go instead of 30 minutes. I stopped wrapping but that's a personal choice (like everything else).  If your method works for you, then it's a perfect recipe! Oh yeah, I cook them, Boston butts and briskets at 240 and I use a Fireboard too. 

Edited by Poochie
  • Like 1

I don't know Bardsljr, to me it's all about the look, ya see I've cooked em laying down, standiing up, hanging on a hook, grilled over coals, spinning on the roto  and have enjoyed them all....immensely. One thing I do is, is I stick around....don't leave the vicinity and watch for the look. Once you know what to look for it's all show and tell. Better described or compared , "the look" could be easily seen on your wife's face when you promise to take her out then stay out with the boys a bit too late. Although you forgot you easily recognize the look when you get home. It's all interchangeable/intangible when it comes to the look, ribs ain't no different. You might even say it's a dance, but that's another show....all I can say is, is keep lookin but I know your doing well.

Edited by Tyrus

On 11/1/2023 at 1:46 AM, Poochie said:

I find that the first smoke coming out of the KK or any other smoker, isn't the best. It's usually cloudy/white smoke that is slightly bitter. If you wait an hour or so, you'll have more of a nice blue smoke. 

It all depends on how you are burning your wood.. Have you tried the foil pouch method? The white cloud is wood alcohol fog, that's why it burns your eyes.

• Thanks 1

I believe the smoke absorbs best when the surface is wet not cold ? But I could be wrong, and i believe it would keep absorbing the smoke until 165 degrees, but once again i could be wrong but that is the temp i had always read was key to absorbing smoke. That is also one of the reasons many people will wrap at 165 as your not going to get any more smoke flavor anyways. But if it works for you go for it 👍

From "the man:" Meathead at Amazing Ribs:

Does meat stop taking on smoke?

There is a popular myth that at some point the meat stops taking on smoke. Sorry, but meat does not have doors that it shuts at some time during a cook. There is a lot of smoke moving through the cooking chamber although sometimes it is not very visible. If the surface is cold or wet, more of it sticks. Usually, late in the cook, the bark gets pretty warm and dry, and by then the coals are not producing a lot of smoke. Smoke bounces off warm dry surfaces so we are fooled into thinking the meat is somehow saturated with smoke. Throw on a log and baste the meat and it will start taking on smoke again. Just don’t baste so often that you wash off the smoke and rub.

To read the rest of the article: 

What You Need to Know About Wood, Smoke, And Combustion (amazingribs.com)

• Like 1

If we are to avoid white smoke and need combustion to get past it, how does a smoldering pouch accomplish this.  

If not that process what’s the best method for adding wood chucks?  Logic would suggest prior to food so the wood can combust first, pass the white smoke phase and closer to blue clean smoke.  

Wood has gotten a bad rap at our place due to the white smoke results.  I agree with Meathead from Amazing Ribs that we need to treat it as another spice. 

Edited by Dennis

The smoker pot and aluminum foil pouch work on the principle of starving the wood of oxygen so it does not fully burn, but just smolders. Plus, if the holes are pointed downward into the fire, then the escaping vapors burn off the volatiles (like the alcohol), giving you a cleaner smoke. 

Placing the chunks of wood directly in the basket does work, as you said, if you're patient enough to let it burn past the white smoke phase, but on the downside, you've lost some wood in the process that's not giving you the full benefit. 

• Like 2

I use both techniques, depending on the situation. I just used the smoker pot yesterday when doing a pork brisket. The foil pouch works better on short cooks, as it comes up to temp to smolder the wood faster, but it doesn't burn as long as the smoker pot (at least for me anyway.)

• Like 1

I like this one. Drill 3 holes about .125” on the bottom. Go to hardware store and pick up a stainless steel sink strainer, fits very well in the 475ml pot in the picture. I have two of these. I’ve struggled with the cast iron version of the smoke pot!

good luck

IMG_0140.png

• Thanks 1

Hello @Dennis, I’ve always used pellets with this but you could use wood chips also. The SS sink screen prevents pellets from blocking the holes thus allowing for air flow / smoke. FYI, we have good friends / neighbors in Northern WI who are snowbirds in Port St Lucie . Last year we visited them …very nice area! 

for reference I’ve attached a picture of SS sink screen.

IMG_0141.png

Hey  @PVPAUL Ah that makes sense, just ordered both the strainer and pot along with some cherry pellets.  curious do you wait for a certain amount of time for it to smolder to avoid white smoke or it doesn't matter because volatiles are burning off before smoke hits the food as  Tony b mentioned? 

Yes, we are renting up here in Port Saint Lucie after moving from Delray, while building even further north in Hammock Beach Palm Coast.   This area is very nice with a lot to offer.  We are close to the Tradition area.  

Best Dennis

Edited by Dennis

Hello @Dennis, my typical procedure is to use a torch to start coals in the center to about the size of a grapefruit. I’ll add the grates (these are a big heat sink too). Close the lid and open the vents wide on both the top and bottom. Once I get close to the target temp I’ll close up the vents to achieve the target temperature. Once here I then take the grate off and place the smoke pot directly in the center of the coals and put the grate back on. Then I work on the grilling protein (about 10 -20 minutes) and by then the smoke pot is doing its job. I really don’t worry about the volatiles like @tony b describes. For me the smoke pot you are buying last about 2 hours. Please note that I will also employ the KK cold smoker as well as this smoke will last longer. I’ve struggled with consistent results with the cold smoker using pellets and after watching KK Dennis video on using the cold smoker with wood chips I’m doing this now instead of pellet. I’ve only done one smoke so far with wood chips and this already seemed to work better over the pellets. I just did Turkey pastrami on the KK using this smoking technique and it turned out wonderful. Definitely a keeper recipe. Good luck and hope to see picks from you using the smoking pot etc.

All the best,

Hey @PVPAUL it seems like the KK cold/hot smoker maybe the best choice!  Like you said using wood chips which also avoids the creosote build up.   And I am only looking for lite smoke for taste and color that should be accomplished in a couple of hours in a slow cook - would you agree.   Plus I found rechargeable aquarium pumps with the adequate output on amazon, eliminating the need to find or tie up a plug.  Question is are you happy with the results?  

Turkey Pastrami - that sounds extremely interesting.  Please share recipe and process! 
I did my first pastrami a month back and loved it.   

Best Dennis

Hello @Dennis, as mentioned I have 2 KK’s at different addresses. While I have struggled with consistent results using pellets in the cold smoker option I still own 2 cold smokers. My issue has been keeping pellets lit. Some of the suggestions for resolving this is using quality pellets, drying them further in your microwave, tapping on the side of the cold smoker from time to time to knock down ashes and so on. Through all of this I don’t feel like Ive ever had creosote issues causing off smoke / undesirable flavors, however I believe others have mentioned this.  As mentioned in previous post I plan to start using wood chips over pellets in the cold smoker.

The cold smoker option comes with an aquarium pump, not sure I understand your comment about tying up a plug. KK’s come with a port for the cold smoker and also have a plug to support fans like the BBQ guru for controlling temperature. 

My experience with the 475ml smoking pot is you’ll get a lot of smoke for 2-3 hours. If you are looking for longer smoking time capicity then the cold smoker will give you this. 

I’m happy with both smoking options.

The Turkey Pastrami recipe is from Food Network/ Guy Fieri.

All the best,

IMG_0145.png

Thanks @PVPAULfor sharing the link to the recipe, sounds really good.  

My comment on the use of a battery powered pump for the cold smoker is out of connivence. Sure long cooks with the guru I drag out the extension cord for power. However, for short cooks that I may want a hint of smoke like steaks, it would be nice to be able to just use KK cold smoker with battery powered pump.  Make sense…. Plus I get your point on sticking with the wood chips epithet way, no creosote and easier to keep lit.  

Have a nice weekend 

Edited by Dennis