jharmon

chimney

I use a mini dragon from https://www.flameengineering.com/

If you are still prepping food then it takes about a 30 - 60 second blast in 1 - 2 places and then work inside for another 5 minutes and if you have the vents open you will have a good fire going.  

I find it a scary thought to try to poor hot coal as the KK is so deep and then arrange it without getting burnt.  Even wearing welding gloves.

Dave, I use mitts that come up to my elbows, so I've never had a concern with dumping out the coals in the chimney. I bought a cheap, small grill grate that fits on top of the charcoal basket handles and I set the chimney on top of that. The deepness of the KK is actually helpful in that you don't worry about a stray coal exiting the grill and landing on your deck/patio/foot/dog/kid, etc.

I hear yah, Robert. That's why I only fill the chimney about 1/4 full for a lo & slo, up to about 1/2 if it's for a high temp steak cook. The only time that I've gone over 1/2 full was when I was trying the "cook the steak on top of the chimney" trick to not waste a lot of charcoal on a very short cook. But, now that I have the basket splitter, don't need to do that anymore. 

Plus, I follow this tip from Dennis, the chimney is a good way to use up the smalls in the charcoal bag and save the medium to large chunks for filling the basket (better airflow).

• Like 1

Jim - I don't use a chimney at all.  I've got a MAPP torch that I always use.  A 20 second blast in a single spot lights things up quite nicely for a low-n-slow.  Three or four spots hit with the MAPP torch gets things going for higher temps.  Given how efficient the KK is, you're up to temp in just a few (15 or so) minutes.  That gives me time to finish up the prep work for my cook.  

• Like 1

EGGARY - yeah, I only hit a spot for about 20 seconds of so. I guess it really depends on the kind of charcoal now that I think about it for a bit. For my regular FOGO brand charcoal, I hit a spot for about 20 seconds. However, when I use CoCoNut Extruded Charcoal, because of its density, it does take longer to light. I'll probably hit a single spot for about 30-45 seconds, at the max. I always try and hit a jagged edge on the CoCoNut where I broke it. That works infinitely better than trying to light a side or an end of a piece!

• Like 1

I vacillate between torch and chimney. Never had any problem with a chimney fitting in the KK, pouring out the coals or anything. Works perfect. Even for a low and slow, I just put about 1/4 of a chimney's worth of charcoal in and that gets it going without getting too hot.