GrillingMontana

Snake River Farms American Kobe Beef Night

My travels had me near Seattle this week. I went to a major Korean market and got a couple live Dungeness crabs to bring back but could not help but notice how this market had a much better selection of kobe cuts than I could ever get in Montana.

The cuts were squared off and in bite sized, slices. I wish i knew the name of the genre of cooking but I presume it is for cooking over a tabletop grill over hardwood lump. My mind raced thinking how fun it would be to have a party with lots of sauces, rice, and veggies to go along with the thin slices of extremely well marbled beef.

I steamed the crabs in my rice cooker and then they got a plunge in the ice bath for the remainder of the evening.

Last night, I picked the crabs apart and sent SWMBO out to see if the only place around here that carries Snake River Farms products had any well marbled beef in stock.

She came home with these-

post-2171-0-23510700-1434836668_thumb.jp

I simply seasoned them with a salty local garlic powder made here in Montana called Alpine Touch

post-2171-0-28535600-1434836753_thumb.jp

It was a piece of flank steak, and the other was a chunk of New York Strip

post-2171-0-58276400-1434836830_thumb.jp

The KK was at about 500F.  Meat went on to a well heated grill grate for about 4 min a side

post-2171-0-93319500-1434836894_thumb.jp

Then I finished for about another min over direct heat to get the outer fat layer to melt and get an extra crisp browning on the meat

post-2171-0-06118900-1434837051_thumb.jp

and then they rested quietly.

Crab I made 2 ways- one in a parfait with cocktail sauce and the other was a de-constructe crab cake done in a pan with vidallias, garlic, olive oil, butter, bread crumbs, paprika, and garlic powder.

Sorry- no plated pics.  I did take a quick vid and am not sure if it will load or not.

Thanks for looking-  Paul

post-2171-0-85194200-1434837248_thumb.jp

You lucky dog! The only way I can get Snake River Farms kobe beef is to order it online and pay out the a$$ for overnight shipping. Did it once for a charity dinner where the folks had ponied up $125 a plate. They deserved it! I got the "bonus" box of hamburger patties. Tasty burgers, but not worth the price. 

Nice meat

Question..

I understand if you are cooking on your egg with the tiny wire grates what the grill grates does for you..

But if you have 3/8 stainless rods why use the grill grates?  As you were creating grate marks, I can't imagine the aluminum could hold as much thermal mass/heat as the much denser stainless.. I'm guessing those aluminum rails would cool off quickly..

• Like 1

I'm sorry I'm just seeing tan less flavorful meat between the grate marks not the dark brown flavor loaded crust which screams Maillard reaction. I always thought grill grates were to make up for the weenie little wire grates that don't hold enough thermal mass/heat to carbonize enough meat to supply the carbonized flavor associated with traditional old school steakhouse crosshatched steaks.  By the way, this carbonized grill mark flavor can be supplied by crushing up a lil' charcoal and mixing it with your salt.. Carbon is carbon.. taste a lil charcoal and you will see..

Back to the Grill Grates.. the other thing I did not understand is why aluminum.. I makes sense for me maybe with fish to slow down the cook as it's so easy to over sook fish for those who don't understand how hot charcoal gets..  

Please help me understand if I'm missing something with these Grill Grates.. I'm in the process of designing stainless sheet grates with two sizes of long slots/slits cut in them for vegetables and fish and one smooth one as a griddle..  

Dennis - I only use Grill Gartes as a carry over from my days before Beauty! & TheBeast. And I flip them upside down to make smash burgers when I feel like a maximum of Maillard Rxn.

I'm a very likely customer for your SS grates/sheets when you get them perfected and ready for sale. I absolutely love smash burgers. Quite tasty!

Nice meat

Question..

I understand if you are cooking on your egg with the tiny wire grates what the grill grates does for you..

But if you have 3/8 stainless rods why use the grill grates?  As you were creating grate marks, I can't imagine the aluminum could hold as much thermal mass/heat as the much denser stainless.. I'm guessing those aluminum rails would cool off quickly..

Hey Dennis-  I wrote a long opinion about the Grill Grates but somehow it got vaporized when I tried to attach images.  No worries-

To paraphrase what I wrote, I love the Grill Grates.  Reason being, they allow me a micro adjustment when I cook direct, or raised direct which is hands down my favorite method of cooking. I feel that they are far from perfect, but one of the best tools for actual cooks I have come across. Yes- they put pretty marks on food, but I would rather have protein and veggies that taste amazing and look just ok any day of the week over something that looks like it should be in a magazine. 

As an example, in this cook, I wanted the fatty beef I purchased to melt and come to temperature a bit slower than if I just had it on the cooking surface. For this cook, I started on the GG and finished on the cooking surface because the GG does not give me the complete texture I was after for a cook like this. I cooked 4 min a side on the GG but only 45-60 seconds on the cooking surface for finishing.

I hope you can put together a product that has the KK quality and also allows for the micro- temperature defusing I prefer when not using a heat deflector.  I will post a few images of another veggie cook that was amazing with the GG below-  Paul