wilburpan

Baby back ribs, comparing NC and TX style rubs

We had some friends over this weekend for dinner, and they are real foodies. So we decided to do a side-by-side comparison of different types of rubs on some baby back ribs.

The first rub was a Lexington, NC-style rub from a recipe I found online. It’s primarily paprika, brown sugar, salt, with some added pepper, cayenne, dry mustard, and granulated garlic.

The second was a Texas-style rub that I got from Aaron Franklin’s video on making rubs. It’s two parts ground black pepper, 1 part salt, and a little granulated garlic, granulated onion, ancho chile, dry mustard, and paprika. (If you’re tired of me linking to that video, it’s only because the video is really really really good. ^_^ )

19762293736_e6aa872899_c.jpg

I sprinkled a good amount of rub on the ribs, and set them up in Smaug.

19240199603_971e735ee1_c.jpg

I cooked them at 225ºF for about 5 hours. I decided they were done when they passed the bend test. No wrapping, no spritzing. Why? Because we’re using kamados! No need for all that extra work! ^_^

This is what they looked like at the end.

19673100440_6837d596cb_c.jpg

19673085178_d40f356d95_c.jpg

And plated, with some corn and cornbread pudding. The Texas-style rub is in the middle, and the NC-style rub is on the right. The other chunk on the left is the piece from the end of the Texas-style rack of ribs.

19866075271_c086e129fb_c.jpg

They were moist and juicy. The only thing I didn’t do which I wish I had was to let the racks rest for a little before serving them. But we were all hungry, and they smelled SO GOOD. ^_^

Overall, I thought the Texas-style rub was the better of the two, although if you put some sauce on the NC-style ribs (which is what the recipe calls for), that made the comparison much more close in terms of which one was better. I also think that the next time I do this, I’m going to cut back on the pepper a bit, at the request of my 8-year old son.

I think I’m partial to Texas-style barbecue because I lived in Dallas for three years, and loved going out for BBQ. On the other hand, my favorite type of BBQ is pulled pork and pork ribs, which is definitely not a Texas thing. Go figure. ^_^

I staggered the arrangement just to make sure there wasn’t going to be any differences in how the ribs turned out because of where they sat in the grill. If there was any transfer of flavor from one rack to the other, we couldn’t taste it. 

On top of that, on the right side of the grill the Texas rub ribs were above the NC ribs, and if much of the rub had come off the Texas rack onto the NC rack, we should have been able to see it because of the lighter color of the NC ribs. We didn’t notice any color change.

And while we really get "into" the science of rubs and the balance of flavors in them, the people eating at the table usually tell me "yeah, whatever, just pass another rib this way."

Next time, those folks get the ribs slathered in ketchup, seeing as they aren't particular about how they are seasoned! See if they change their tune then! 

I always serve my ribs dry and ask my guests to try a rib sans sauce before dumping sauce on 'em. Seldom do they go on to ask for sauce. But when they do ask for sauce, I give them some homemade sauce of my own making and a few recipes from cook books, a la Franklin's Manifesto and his videos.