wilburpan

Seafood dinner

Last night we had a seafood dinner, as the title says. I tried something new, and that was to use Smaug to cook some clams.

20037976255_88443f1f85_c.jpg

Salmon, seasoned with Old Bay, grilled asparagus, and some Cherrystone clams caught in Sandy Hook, NJ, less than 30 miles from my house.

I fired up Smaug to full blast and put everything on the grill. One thing I’ve learned from my time using Smaug is that even though kamado grills are well known for their insulation and even cooking, there are still hot and cold spots on the grate. The vent of KK grills is at the rear of the lid, not the center like most other brands, and so the back of the grill tends to be hotter than the front. That’s why I arranged the salmon fillets so that the thin belly portion is to the outside, and the thicker pieces to the back of the grill. I also placed the clams towards the front because I didn’t want them to get overcooked.

Plated.

19849982770_ec5f004a02_c.jpg

The salmon and asparagus turned out great, which was no surprise. What I was impressed with was how delicious the clams were. I cooked them just until their shells popped open, then left them for 2 more minutes on the grill. Even though I spilled some of the clam liquid in getting them out, I was surprised as to how much of the liquid remained in the clam. Much more than what I’m used to getting in a restaurant. I ate them straight: no cocktail sauce, lemon, or anything else.

So now I can add clams on the shell to my growing list of things not to order when I go out to eat because I can cook them better at home. happy.png

• Like 2

Hear yah, Wilbur. I put that info to good use last night. Lit the coals in the back of the basket and put my CI pan of potatoes and onions on the front part of the main grill, so I didn't burn the bottom. Was cooking direct. 

I've done lots of shellfish on the KK in the shells - mussels, clams, and oysters (Drago style - KILLER!!)