Gnomatic

On The Precipice .....

So ..... I've been a member here for years but rarely post.  I guess I'm a lurker.  I've wanted a 23" KK for a long, long while, but for a variety of reasons, the timing etc. just hasn't been quite right for me to get serious about finally purchasing one.  That has recently changed.  :icon_smile:

I had a couple chats with Dennis and spoke with him on the phone for a bit yesterday..  I've all but made the decision to pull the trigger.  Though I can't help but have a bit of apprehension about doing this; its just a ton of money to spend on a cooker.   Justifying a purchase like this is a challenge.

Another thing I'm struggling with is picking out a tile and color pattern.  I'm not sure if what I like in the pics on the site is necessarily what would look best on my little patio.  I am drawn to the Autumn Nebula/Bronze tweed.  I'd really love to see some pics of a KK with this type of pattern from the back and sides, if anyone has any they can post.

Terra Blue seems like a "safer" choice.  I really like the Dark Autumn Nebula as well and would like to see a KK in Dark Autumn Nebula/Bronze Tweed.  There's so many excellent choices available its hard to decide.

Right now I have an old Cobalt Blue RJ Kamado #5 where the KK would go, and believe it or not, mine has held up comparatively well.  It still has 99% of its original tile - I got real lucky compared to many folkes.  It does however need some work.  The bands on it need replaced as the current ones have warped over the years.  I've used it strictly as a grill for years now as its impossible to control the airflow for a low and slow anymore.  Its gotten a ton of use and I don't feel it owes me a thing at this point.  That said, I'm looking forward to an upgrade. :)

I think the best advice that I was given by Robert was what one caught your eye first???

Whatever that was stick with it.

The truth is, if you look at them all, you will see something that you like in each one. I love about 7 different ones and finally went back to my love at first site tile.

As for the apprehension.... I couldn't agree more. but once I said go, all my worry went away and was replaced with sheer excitement.

If you have been cooking for any length of time you can justify the value in one of these. I can not wait to take delivery !!!

I wish you the best of luck and can not wait to see your future post with your new grill

• Like 1

Gnomatic, I have a Terra Blue that I love, but have actually seen Autumn Nebula up close as well. That was my first choice and I subsequently, changed to TB while they were on the water. The AN was shipped to me by mistake. It was really pretty, but it depends on the look that you are going for.

In the end, I decided that if I was going to buy a really big, tiled grill, I wanted it to stand out rather than blend into our outdoor kitchen.

I don't know how you have held out so long. I've found that once you start sniffing around the site, the fever gets terminal pretty quickly. Sooooooo, I will save you some time. Yes, it is a lot to pay for a cooker. And no, you won't regret it for a second once you get it.

So I attemped to take the plunge today.  Went to the bank, and gave banker all the info needed.  He took a while to enter everything in, and by the time he was ready to process, the transaction failed because we had gone past my bank's cutoff time for international transfers.  I have to wait till Monday to try again.    Argh!

So I attemped to take the plunge today. Went to the bank, and gave banker all the info needed. He took a while to enter everything in, and by the time he was ready to process, the transaction failed because we had gone past my bank's cutoff time for international transfers. I have to wait till Monday to try again. Argh!

Well that sucks but I know it took a little while to get all the forms ready at my bank. Hopefully he saved all your information so on Monday it should just be a matter of clicking a few keys, signing a form or two then the wait begins.

My bank has all the information from my transfer saved so if I ever pulled the trigger again it will only take a minute or two. Sort of scarey thought.

Congrats, Gnomatic! Banks ... Can't live with 'em and you can't live without 'em, right?

I'd second what was said above ... go with what first caught your eye. That said, Dennis just posted a recent thread with pics of all the KKs that are to hit the shore. For me, that's like putting a bottle of really fine bourbon in front of me and telling mei can't have any! Every single KK I've seen is beautiful, absolutely beautiful!

You'll love your new KK. I hope you know we expect to see pics of the uncrating and first cook, right? We couldn't be happier for you!

Again, congrats and welcome (back) aboard!

Dennis sent me a pick of the AN/Bronze tweed from side/back angles.  While I still really like it, the pattern doesn't hold together like it does looking at it straight on.  Which, given the shape of the cooker, makes total sense.  So I decided that's not the tile pattern for me.   Dennis had another buyer who really wanted that design, and was very disappointed to find out someone else had already purchased it.(Dennis was nice enough to hold it for me while I deal with bank issues)  So I think someone will get a suprise call from Dennis and come away very happy knowing they're getting the tile pattern they really wanted after all.

As for me, well, I only wish I could be that decisive. :dontknow:  Hopefully I'll be able to settle on a KK color from the current container.

It'll drive you nutz trying to decide on a color, Gnomatic. Been there. You'll love whatever you get because the Komodo itself is damn close to perfect. I can't imagine an ugly color coming out of that place. Make a decision and don't look back. No sense in second guessing yourself.

Dennis sent me a pick of the AN/Bronze tweed from side/back angles. While I still really like it, the pattern doesn't hold together like it does looking at it straight on. Which, given the shape of the cooker, makes total sense. So I decided that's not the tile pattern for me. Dennis had another buyer who really wanted that design, and was very disappointed to find out someone else had already purchased it.(Dennis was nice enough to hold it for me while I deal with bank issues) So I think someone will get a suprise call from Dennis and come away very happy knowing they're getting the tile pattern they really wanted after all.

As for me, well, I only wish I could be that decisive. :dontknow: Hopefully I'll be able to settle on a KK color from the current container.

What color are you thinking?