wilburpan

I’ve climbed the mountain: 21 lb. brisket

This weekend I wanted to try my hand at a whole packer brisket again. We had some friends over to help us eat it. I knew this would be a bit of an adventure when I got the brisket from our local butcher. He gave me a brisket that was 21 lbs. I took it, as it was the only one that they had. This brisket was larger than the other ones I’ve cooked by at least 8 lbs. Here it is, with a ruler for scale.

21319256255_a48e9e1b1d_c.jpg

My plan was to make this brisket Texas style, following Aaron Franklin’s method. I made a rub with a 50/50 mix of black pepper ground with a mortar and pestle and kosher salt. There’s about 1/2 cup total in this jar.

21367720195_155f0c929b_c.jpg

Just to give another perspective on this brisket, check out how thick the point end is. The jar is is 5-1/4†tall.

21371031175_8a5ee8e22d_c.jpg

Here’s how I trimmed the brisket. I got as much of the fat off the bottom as I could, and trimmed the fat cap side so that it was about 1/4†thick across the top. I also excavated the big chunk of fat that sits between the flat and the point as much as I could from both sides. Scooping that fat out brought the thickness of the brisket at that end down so that the flat and point ends were closer in thickness. I sliced off the long edges to clean up the shape of the brisket. One side had a gray, dry appearance, which you can see at the top center of the picture, and I tossed it. The pieced I trimmed from the other side looked nice (it’s at the right side of the picture), so I saved it.

21179843958_bc163518ba_c.jpg

I lightly covered the brisket with olive oil, and sprinkled the rub on all sides. 

21179844878_8fb98c9739_c.jpg

I had lit Smaug earlier in the evening with a basket full of Royal Oak, and he seemed to want to be a little above 200ºF. I put the brisket on a little before midnight. I stayed up for about an hour and a half to keep an eye on the temperature, which remained stable, and then went to bed.

Things got interesting when I woke up. The morning was pretty chilly, and the thermometer read 180ºF. I opened up the vents, and Smaug settled in at 250ºF. I also applied rub to the good piece I had trimmed, and put that piece into Smaug as well.

At noon, 12 hours into the cook, I bumped the temperature up to 275ºF. I hit an IT of 195ºF at the 16 hour mark. The brisket was probe tender all over, and I decided it was done. I already had taken out the small piece of trimmed brisket edge, and gave it to the kids to eat, since they were getting antsy. I don’t have any pictures of the small piece, but I figured that’s okay, because I know you all want to see what the whole brisket looked like. Here it is.

21367725985_06362db78e_c.jpg

Here’s what the flat looked like, sliced.

21180811639_8dbc44bfa2_c.jpg

This is the point end. I messed up a little slicing this part. The slices were a bit too thick.

20746619053_4bf3ac9c3e_c.jpg

21367729305_763a6021d8_c.jpg

21376027241_8179bf04ff_c.jpg

Slices of the flat and point, ready for serving.

20745022934_76d9046a47_c.jpg

20745024274_b9d6e4ab83_c.jpg

And my plate.

20745025564_e195b60e56_c.jpg

Here are a few things I picked up from this cook. First, although I’ve read that great things happen to a brisket at an IT of 203ºF, I think an IT of 195ºF works better for me. The last brisket I made I shot for an IT of 203ºF, and although it was very tasty, it was a bit on the dry side. Maybe it’s because I don’t bother with wrapping. This brisket was about as good as I think I could make it — great flavor and really moist. 

Second, slicing is important. As I mentioned, the point slices were a bit on the thick side, and although they were really tasty, I think they would have been better if they were sliced a bit thinner.

Third, I think one of the big factors in how well this brisket turned out was the trimming step. As I was trimming it, I was thinking about what the issues were in cooking a brisket. You have two muscles, one leaner than the other, and the leaner one is more exposed to the heat. Although my goal in trimming out as much of the fat between the flat and point was to decrease the amount of fat rendering needed in that part of the brisket, the added benefit of making the brisket more uniform in thickness probably helped in how this brisket turned out.

I didn’t make burnt ends because I’m really not sure how to go about making them, and more importantly, since I’ve never had burnt ends before, I have no idea how they should taste. Luckily, I’ll be in Kansas City in a couple of weeks, and I plan on rectifying that situation.

Finally, I have to give credit to Smaug for helping me pull off this cook. I was really nervous about this brisket because it was so big. Our friends, who are from the South and who have been to Texas on many occasions, said that this was better than any brisket they ever had in Texas. I keep hearing that brisket is the hardest thing to smoke. This is only my third brisket cook, and they all have turned out great. New Jersey isn’t known for its BBQ, but I can’t think of any BBQ place around here that I would rather go to for brisket. I may have to make a pilgrimage to Franklin BBQ.

I’ve said this before, but I’d like to repeat that prior to getting Smaug, I had zero experience with low and slow BBQ’ing. In order to get the results that I did, I have to believe that the ability of a KK grill to hold and maintain temperatures and their increased efficiency over other grills has something to do with this.

The only other explanation is that I’m some sort of BBQ genius, in which case you all should listen to me when I say that having a KK grill is completely worth it. ^_^

Wilbur - great presentation of your cook! I especially like the shots of the slices of the point as well as the flat. That money shot is over the top delicious looking! I particularly like your post game analysis on this brisket cook. You make some excellent points concisely and cogently. Bravo!

Thanks for sharing this with us. We can all take a lesson or two from this post. Kudos!

Wow!

That looks outta this world! I'm now getting nervous about how my sous vide brisket will come out next week... You set the bar outrageously high! 😭

It's great how with tools as good as a KK I see so many people on the forum push themselves to do more and better than before - would you have taken he risk with such a quality bit of meat on substandard grill/smoker? I'd wager not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilbur, 

Looks awesome!

You figured out something here but didn't realize it. There is nothing magic about 205 degrees, 195 degrees, or 2,058,232 degrees. It's a matter of giving the heat enough time to break down the connective tissue and that's going to vary based on the size, shape, age, and other variables of each individual cook. A thermometer can't measure that...but a probe can. Temps are just a guide for knowing when to start probing. Once it probes like butter, the cooking is done no matter what the number on the thermometer says.

Again, awesome job, man!

Wilburpan you are a brisket genius for sure. That turned out excellent to say the least. Do you use any smoking wood when you cook your briskets?

That looks great,Wilbur. I'm also curious if you added some wood chunks to the Royal Oak.

Believe it or not, I have yet to try using wood chunks for smoking on any of my cooks. Any smokiness in my cooks so far was generated by the charcoal itself, or from drippings hitting the hot parts of the grill during a cook.

I do woodworking as a hobby, so I have loads of scrap cherry, maple, and white oak, and one day I’ll give smoking woods a try. Up to now I’ve been concentrating on my technique before adding in another variable.

You figured out something here but didn't realize it. There is nothing magic about 205 degrees, 195 degrees, or 2,058,232 degrees. It's a matter of giving the heat enough time to break down the connective tissue and that's going to vary based on the size, shape, age, and other variables of each individual cook. A thermometer can't measure that...but a probe can. Temps are just a guide for knowing when to start probing. Once it probes like butter, the cooking is done no matter what the number on the thermometer says.

Definitely! Especially the bit about how IT is a guide to let you know when to start probing.