MacKenzie

Cheese Burger and Ice Cream

Yesterday I had company and decided to make cheese burgers on Pebbles. It was so easy. Started with fresh ground chuck roast, made the burgers. Before anyone arrived. Set the grill up with the fire basket divider in. When we were getting ready, lit the fire and set the burgers on the grill at 250F with a needle probe in one of them. Shut the lid. We sat around watching as the temp slowly went up to 139F moved the burgers over to the fire side after about 45 mins. Dressed the burgers put the perfectly melting cheese on each and under the stove broiler for the big melt. :)

h9WAIaZ.jpg

For dessert I had made grapenut ice cream and waffle cones the night before.

pEcc0Ap.jpg

• Like 1

Here is the story of the grape-nut ice cream-

Grape-Nut ice cream is a popular regional dish in the Canadian Maritimes, the Shenandoah Valley, Jamaica and New England. One origin story is that it was created by chef Hannah Young at The Palms restaurant in Wolfville, Nova Scotia in 1919. She created it when she ran out of fresh fruit to add to ice cream, and decided to throw in some cereal. It proved popular at the restaurant and the Scotsburn Dairy company began mass-producing the ice cream variety, and it sold across the region.

Fantastic MK. I'm curious about the reverse sear on the burgers. I have never seen anyone else do that. What prompted that? Were you looking for more smoke flavor or something else?

Benton

I've been doing that for ages, grind my own chuck beef roast and add some spices, no binders, and loosely form the burgers. Set up  for indirect cooking and that's it. I know it takes a long time to cook (45 mins.) but I really like them that way and I haven't gotten any complaints. ;) They are moist tender and tasty not to mention there is time to sit and relax. I always set them up with my needle probe so it's just a case of sit back and watch the temp., don't have to open the grill until I'm ready to put them over the fire. If you try it I'd be interested to hear what you think. :)