GoFrogs91

Don't be shy

So Dennis sold a big pile of grills via his Labor Day sale. That means there should be bunch of happy campers out there who have either received or are about to receive their KKs.

Any new owners or new KK purchasers out there, please feel free to introduce yourselves. We love pictures of shiny new grills! And we love sharing the excitement/torture of having one on order and waiting for it to arrive.

Benton

So I guess I'll jump in.  This is more a summery of my (limited) experience with the grill thus far than it is a review.  I got my KK a couple weeks ago, sooner than I was ready to place it in it's new home. So I left it in the crate for over a week while I got a lot done on my KK-inspired fall landscaping project(still not finished).  I didn't want to be it moving around.  That ended up being a very looong week+ wait. :icon_smile:

For reference, I'm coming from a POSK #5(which somehow held up pretty well over the last 10-12 years) and am very familiar with BGE's, Primos, etc.  My first reaction seeing it in the crate was "OMG its HUGE."   My plan was to take a bunch of pics during the uncrating process, but it was pouring rain that day and I was more focused on getting it done as quickly as possible.  Anyway, hear it is, my Terra Blue KK - the pics really don't capture how cool this looks.

post-748-0-43828200-1443972468_thumb.jpg

I had agonized over color choice, but now having my grill and seeing it in person, I know I'd have been happy with any of them.  I was afraid Bronze would be too blingy, and I wouldn't like the side view of the tweed patterns.  Etc etc.  What I know now, there are no bad choices and I was a bit foolish getting so hung up on that.  I strongly considered waiting for Dennis to build a Dark Autumn Nebula(the color I liked most), but Dennis didn't have enough of that particular tile in inventory to start on a new cooker and was unsure when that would be available.  Lets just say I'm glad I didn't wait.

My first cook was yesterday, I had been wanting to try some Pepper Stout Beef - boy is that delicious.  I used a little Royal Oak I had leftover from the burn in, along with some coffee char and a few hunks of cherry.  Man the produced a rich smokey flavor along with a real nice smoke ring.  My nephew even asked if I was sure the meat was cooked because thick red ring on the outside.  Smoked the roast at 250F for several hrs till it hit 165F internal, before sealing it up in a pan along with peppers, onions, and Guinness.  Finished in the pan at 375F until fork tender.   Turned out great!  I'm no food photog like many of you here, but here's a peak.

post-748-0-67243700-1443977004_thumb.jpg

post-748-0-33731500-1443977075_thumb.jpg

It was raining again so I didn't get any pics of the roast on the grill itself.

One thing peculiar, about 1/2 way through cook, a significant leak developed around the handle and latch.  I thought there was a gasket issue and did a lot of searching and reading here last night.  Then I came across this old post by Dennis.  Turns out I've not been fully closing my grill!.  Got it closed today and now know the look/feel of it, but man that latch is stiff!    I hope it relaxes a bit as it gets more use.

Anyway, I couldn't be be more pleased with my new grill so far.  Its an absolute pleasure to operate.  I can't wait to learn the nuances of my new cooker as I gain more experience with it.

Folks, this isn't the right spot in the Forum for this discussion. Maybe one of the Admins can move it to a better spot?

Didn't catch that - TY tony b

I moved it to Komodo General forum. Wasn't sure exactly where to put it but Komodo General seems a little more appropriate.

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 1

That looks amazing!!!

I struggled with the tile choice but Robert simply asked me... What was the first one that caught you're eye.

I have always loved the pebble tile and it was a no brainer for me. I won't sit here and pretend that I didn't change my mind a thousand times!!!

Hop to see you stick around, this forum is a lot of fun!!

Is it an easy procedure? I have et to see a kk in person I just like to learn things

Loosen two nuts with the wrench from your spare parts kit. Move the the plate just a smige then tighten the nuts and test. Repeat if you didn't get the adjustment correct the first time. Just need the latch to lock down over the cam with minimal effort.

In reality probably less than 1 min to make the adjustment.