kjs

31lb Pig on the 32" KK

We had a group of Brazilian students and some other folks for a pig roast on Sunday (15 people).

I purchased a 31lb whole pig and decided to flavor it in a brine. Placed it in the solution on Friday (a combination of water, cider, vinegar, salt, pepper, brown sugar and spices) until late Saturday. Pulled him out, dried him off and salted the carcass inside and out. I then reduced some of the brine and used it to inject the pig. Placed him on the KK Sunday morning about 5:00 a.m. using CocoChar and some cherry wood.

post-2479-0-70020800-1445874415_thumb.jp

My original intent was to have him on the rotisserie, but my butcher under-estimated the length, so I went to plan b and roasted the pig.  As you can see he fit, but certainly filled up the 32" KK.  I brushed the skin with oil and butter, mixed with some of the reduced marinade. Covered the roast with foil and cooked until reaching an internal temp of 160°, about six hours at 250°. Uncovered the pig, raised the KK temp to 350 and basted every half hour until the internal temp was 180° and the skin was nice, brown and crispy — another 2.5-3 hours.

Had to add a photo of the pig just before pulling him off the grill.

post-2-0-69414500-1446057568_thumb.jpg

Here's the finished product.

post-2-0-34343600-1446057933_thumb.jpg

Sorry no plated pictures of the meal, with a bunch of hungry college students, I didn't have much time for pics. The cook was a challenge, but a huge success and everyone loved the meal. The pork had a wonderful very slight smokey flavor with a hint of the spices, salt and sweet. There was nothing left other than a few scraps, the snout, ears and bones.

Did the skin end up being crunchy? That's a beautiful cook if I ever saw one.

Yes the skin was crunchy, but not over done. We served a small piece of skin to eat with a slice or two or three of the meat, which was very succulent. I will use the left over skin to flavor other dishes.

And just as I had finally decided on on a 23 ultimate... Kjs goes and throws a curve ball!!!

It was precisely for a hog roast that the 32 big bad was on my radar... After seeing yours I've changed my mind again!!!! What an awesome cook!!!

Even though I'd probably only do one a year, having seen how great yours turned out I think it makes having the 32 BB worth it!!

Out of interest, do you ever fire up your 32 for a small weeknight cook for two people? That'll be my main use for it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And just as I had finally decided on on a 23 ultimate... Kjs goes and throws a curve ball!!!

It was precisely for a hog roast that the 32 big bad was on my radar... After seeing yours I've changed my mind again!!!! What an awesome cook!!!

Even though I'd probably only do one a year, having seen how great yours turned out I think it makes having the 32 BB worth it!!

Out of interest, do you ever fire up your 32 for a small weeknight cook for two people? That'll be my main use for it...

Sounds like you're in the market for a double KK order - the Bad 32" for your pig roasts and a 19" Hi-Cap for the day-to-day cooks. And with the basket splitter options on the 32", you wouldn't need the trifecta 23" KK to round out the family. Just tossing out a suggestion!

Yes the skin was crunchy, but not over done. We served a small piece of skin to eat with a slice or two or three of the meat, which was very succulent. I will use the left over skin to flavor other dishes.

That skin looks amazing! I'm just in awe of that whole hog roast! Brings back fond memories of my childhood in the south, where "pig pickin's" were a great affair. 

Yes, I have a charcoal basket splitter and fire it up for small cooks all the time. We commonly have a chicken breast or a grilled piece of fish for dinner during the week, generally it is just my wife and I. FYI, about the largest hog you're going to fit on a 32" will be in the 35-40lb range. The one pictured was 31lb, you could get one a little bigger but not a lot.

My suggestion, if you want two different sizes and are planning on splitting the purchase over time buy the smaller one first.

I wanted a 19 and a 16.5. I bought the 16.5 first and that sort of forced my hand into purchasing the 19.

If I would have got the 19 first it would have been harder to justify the 16.5 as the 19 would have worked in a pinch for everything. But not the other way around.

If I was gonna do two, I'd get a 32 and a 16 or 23 and 16... Mainly because daily cooks would be for 2 right now (eventually a max 4) and one day I want to cruise around the world on a 45' catamaran so I think the 16 would be the biggest I could fit on the boat 😜