tony b

Jerk Chicken

Hadn't made any Jerk chicken in a while, so I did some for dinner tonight. Have to say that this was some of the best Jerk that I've ever done. Just a couple of basic tweaks to my normal recipe, seemed to make a difference.

I'm a big fan of Walkerswood Jerk paste. A nice heaping Tablespoon in a zip bag, mixed with a 1/2 cup of a 50/50 mix of dark rum and water to make the marinade. I did a breast and a leg quarter in the bag overnight. This afternoon I took out the bag and injected the chicken with the marinade. This was a new twist that I'll keep doing. 

It was a rainy day, so I did some shortcuts in setting up the KK for the chicken cook. This was an indirect cook, with drip pan, and the chicken on the upper grate - my typical chicken setup. Smoking pot with a chunk of mesquite and a couple of chunks of peach wood - trying to simulate pimento wood (This was the second tweak that I'll keep doing, as I think it did a great job!) Like I said, being a cool, rainy day, the KK was a tad slow coming up to my target temp of 350F, so I put the the chicken on at 250F, as the smoking pot was just kicking off. The KK had been lit for about 30 minutes at this point. Left the chicken on for 90 minutes, much longer than I'd normally leave it on, but since the early part of the cook was at a very low temp, I compensated with a longer cooking time. Note: while I was shooting for 350F, the KK only got to 325F. Both the breast and leg quarter were 175F IT when I took them off. Skin was a decent texture, not super crispy, but not rubbery either, despite the lower target cooking temps and using a wet rub. Meat was nice and moist, too. 

The flavor was amazing! The combo of injecting and the longer, slower cooking time/temp, along with the smoking pot mix, turned out something close to authentic Jerk chicken. And Yah Mon, I've been to Jamaica  and had awesome roadside stand Jerk chicken, so I know what I'm talking about! Rahstah-far-eye!!!

Seriously funny MacKenzie and Thanks for having my back! To the rest of you -  :pottytrain2:

It was raining steadily the whole time, so I barely got this cook in at all; but I'd already marinated the chicken and was committed to it. So sorry, no pics. Not much to show really. But, since it seems to be so important to some of you, here's a shot of the leftover leg quarter.

post-975-0-39799900-1446054822_thumb.jpg

:smt110