wilburpan

Peking duck on the KK rotisserie

I did another Peking duck. I pretty much used the same technique I’ve posted before for this cook.

On the rotisserie. I cooked the duck at 325ºF for this cook, and I ramped the temp up to 400ºF when the IT got to 160ºF at the thigh.

21885659544_49965183b8_c.jpg

Final product. Cooked to an final IT of 170ºF in the thigh.

22519518771_484a0ba55c_c.jpg

Plated. I took advantage of chef’s prerogative, and snagged a drumstick.

21887207243_1b0c2b9fe5_c.jpg

21887209223_3896f3f146_c.jpg

It was great. The dark meat was cooked well, and the breast meat was still nice and moist. I think the skin turned out the best out of the ducks I’ve made so far. The one thing I did differently this time was that I used a full basket of charcoal for this cook, as opposed to using the basket splitter to create an indirect zone. I’m not sure if using the full basket made the difference, or that I’m just getting more experience with this cook.

One thing I had wanted to try with this cook was to use my bike pump to inflate the skin. I couldn’t figure out how to attach the needle that I use for this to my bike pump. So I used my marinade injector instead.

I plan about 45 minutes to an hour cooking time for my duck cooks. The ducks I get are about 3 pounds.

Coincidentally, we usually cook duck for Thanksgiving. It’s usually just the four of us, and the smallest turkey is still way too much food for our family. Besides, we like duck better, so we give more thanks for a duck than we would for a turkey. ^_^

Great cook, Wilbur. You know that I'm a big fan of your duck cooks!  :notworthy:

How did using the injector work for puffing up the skin? I tried the turkey baster with the injector needle before and it didn't work so hot. 

I read a post online about using a foot pump for inflatable toys to blow up the duck. Might be worth the coin to give it a try.

http://www.amazon.com/AIRHEAD-AHP-F1-Bellow-Foot-Pump/dp/B000FE9CGE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1446650912&sr=8-3&keywords=foot+pump+for+inflatables

Wilbur, you've GOT TO STOP doing these ducks! It makes me want to spin a duck here in OKC.  I don't know where to get a duck, but I think I'm on a mission.  Then I have to get a foot pump.  Then I'm really on a mission!  Your cooks are gonna get me in trouble.  Great cook and gives something to which to aspire!  Kudos!

I plan about 45 minutes to an hour cooking time for my duck cooks. The ducks I get are about 3 pounds.

Coincidentally, we usually cook duck for Thanksgiving. It’s usually just the four of us, and the smallest turkey is still way too much food for our family. Besides, we like duck better, so we give more thanks for a duck than we would for a turkey. ^_^

Awesome, me and Mrs skreef were talking tonight. I think duck will be on the menu for Thanksgiving. There is just 3 of us so it should work out great and my son loves duck.

Great cook, Wilbur. You know that I'm a big fan of your duck cooks!  :notworthy:

How did using the injector work for puffing up the skin? I tried the turkey baster with the injector needle before and it didn't work so hot. 

I read a post online about using a foot pump for inflatable toys to blow up the duck. Might be worth the coin to give it a try.

http://www.amazon.com/AIRHEAD-AHP-F1-Bellow-Foot-Pump/dp/B000FE9CGE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1446650912&sr=8-3&keywords=foot+pump+for+inflatables

The injector works okay. I usually insert the needle near the base of the neck and slide it towards the tail end, and then inflate. I can consistently separate the skin on both sides of the breast and both sides of the back. It’s not as good as using a compressor (see here: https://youtu.be/xp-kzew2Ewg?t=47s), but that’s the part of the duck where you get the most skin.

I just read an article this morning about just inserting a large spoon under the skin to manually separate if from the meat. I may give that a try as well.

Was rereading both your duck rotisserie posts this morning. Got to thinking (scarey sometimes) .............

I don't like the idea of a traditional air compressor. They tend to have a nasty oil/water mixture in the air output so you would need an air water separator/air drier attachment of some sort but ........

What about a small electric inflator for air mattresses. They use a diaphragm type system so there wouldn't be any oil/water issues. Should work as good as a foot pump assuming you could somehow attach the right needle to the output. Or what might be eve easier is a high end fish tank air pump. Would be easier to attach a needle to the end of the air hose.

I guess the question comes down to just how much pressure is needed to separate the skin from the fat.

Hmmmm I have both a air mattress inflator and fish tank air pump laying around.

The injector works okay. I usually insert the needle near the base of the neck and slide it towards the tail end, and then inflate. I can consistently separate the skin on both sides of the breast and both sides of the back. It’s not as good as using a compressor (see here: https://youtu.be/xp-kzew2Ewg?t=47s), but that’s the part of the duck where you get the most skin.

I just read an article this morning about just inserting a large spoon under the skin to manually separate if from the meat. I may give that a try as well.

Wilbur, you've GOT to get one of these pumps!! I just did my Christmas duck with it. Works crazy good! Blew up like a balloon. And the thing is a lot cheaper than an air compressor!

So, here's the Christmas dinner - Peking duck (3 days in the making), with brown & wild rice, roasted cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. 

Duck was prepped for 3 days:  Day 1 - defrosted and skin rubbed with kosher salt and baking powder, some Chinese 5 spice powder in the cavity, and into the fridge on a rack to dry. Day 2 - Inflated (i.e., Blowed Up) and painted with honey, soy sauce and a bit of hot water, back into the fridge. Day 3 - bathed in boiling water and set outside to dry while the KK heat soaked. 

Here's the pics. Out of the fridge after 2 days.

post-975-0-95820200-1451096815_thumb.jpg

On to the KK, heat soaked to 325F, with a big chunk of cherry wood.

post-975-0-60822700-1451096884_thumb.jpg

After 45 minutes, ramped up to 375F for another 15 minutes. Done on the KK.

post-975-0-57991200-1451096968_thumb.jpg

Off the KK and a bit of a rest.

post-975-0-93115800-1451097010_thumb.jpg

Plated with brown & wild rice, roasted cauliflower & Brussels sprouts (they were in a pan below the duck, so they got a bath in duck fat!) While the sprouts/cauliflower look dark, it's the Balsamic vinegar finish. They were exceptional. Didn't do the Mandarin pancakes, but did have slivered scallions, duck sauce and plum sauce for garnishes.

post-975-0-55305700-1451097120_thumb.jpg

Flavor was excellent, meat was nice and moist with a hint of the Chinese 5 spice powder, the skin was good, but not "perfect." Needed a bit more time on the KK and/or a bit higher temp at the end. But, overall, the best duck I've done yet!!