ckreef

Grilled Cabbage

Boiled cabbage - yucky

But grilled cabbage - this was yummy :-)

Started with half a head of cabbage that I cut a sliver off the bottom so I would have 2 flat surfaces. Mixed up a batch of my summer slaw marinade (vinegar based, no mayo).

0e693adacb4afa8d03a29c25ed1f9a46.jpg

First I grilled the large flat side down for a bit. When I flipped it over I basted it with a generous layer of the slaw marinade.

616380fa180cc941343ede73e835c81d.jpg

After a few minutes you can see how the marinade melts down into the cabbage.

3d66ee0f48a88cfbd07f36d260e263fc.jpg

Flipped it over and basted the small flat side.

42ee01e740ec99144e8c1f4ed9048ba5.jpg

I kept flipping and basting until it felt nice and tender.

16e53ece5d89d1ed105392685b67ccca.jpg

Cut it open and serve. Marinade seeped in throughout the cabbage. Almost like a hot grilled Cole Slaw.

4ba59ab4e6a210608ad7caba144b946a.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

ckreef!  Great idea!  My mouth is watering so much I've changed drool bibs TWICE!

Try boiled cabbage with some bacon fat thrown in the boiling water.  Boil until relatively tender, about 3-5 minutes, and serve with corned beef and it'll make you throw stones at your kids.  

Sorry, I can't do boiled cabbage but I can do grilled.

• Like 1

ck, that is the first time I've seen grilled cabbage and it does look tasty.:)

What a great idea.

Never heard about this before until.....

A friend of mine made it for his family last weekend basting it with butter. He said everyone loved it including the grandkids.

Had to try with a Bistro twist.

Yeah, gonna share, or is it some "secret family recipe?"

Not a big cabbage fan, so I might give this a go, as I really like grilled Belgian endive.

Reef,

How about the recipe for your slaw marinade.?

Posted the recipe in the recipe section under sides.

http://www.komodokamadoforum.com/index.php?/topic/6499-Summer-Slaw---Vinegar-Based-

16 minutes ago, tony b said:

Just read it. Where in the hell did you find pear infused white balsamic vinegar??? Never seen it before. I have done a pear infused champagne vinegar dressing before. But it was homemade. 

Especially in rural GA! I'm lucky to find non-Walmart brand balsamic!

Just read it. Where in the hell did you find pear infused white balsamic vinegar??? Never seen it before. I have done a pear infused champagne vinegar dressing before. But it was homemade. 

Especially in rural GA! I'm lucky to find non-Walmart brand balsamic!

I get it at Walmart of all places. I've also seen it in Kroger before. Usually they just have small bottles of it. Last 2 times they didn't have pear infused they had Raspberry Blush White Balsamic vinegar (that works for me also)

I use white balsamic vinegar a lot. It goes into almost all my wet marinades and I substitute it in recipes when they call for plain white vinegar. I make the packet salad dressings from Kraft and use white balsamic in all but the one that actually calls for regular balsamic vinegar.

About the only time I don't use it is if the recipe calls for regular balsamic or apple cider vinegar.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan, too, Charles. I get the white balsamic at Trader Joe's. Just used some to bloom the dried spices for a creamy peppercorn salad dressing. I'll snoop around here and see if I can find some pear infused. I was just at Fresh Market. I bet they might have it?

• Like 1