wilburpan

I am the leg man, Goo Goo G'Joob

Chicken legs, that is. Leg and thigh pieces, to be specific.

Here they are prior to cooking. I made a rub using Aaron Franklin’s progressive rub method.

26364480460_3a7fc9802a_c.jpg

I put them into Smaug, who decided that he wanted to be at 425ºF that day. The legs were cooked indirect for about 40 minutes.

26364481420_33b5c6b7dc_c.jpg

26364481880_fcc93783e4_c.jpg

Plated, with some avocado, potatoes, and roasted cauliflower.

26364482180_66b9127360_c.jpg

Here’s the interesting thing about this cook. By all rights, I overcooked the legs. I decided to mow the lawn while they were cooking, and when I was done, I checked the IT. The IT of the legs was 180ºF, which was much higher than my intended target of 170ºF. Even so, when I cut into the legs, this is what I got.

26364484420_46b00f5260_c.jpg

This is the sort of juiciness level that I expect from steaks, not roast chicken. The meat was incredibly moist. The only comparison I have is the moistness of really good fried chicken. This result was doubly impressive given that I overcooked the leg pieces. On the other hand, maybe I should shoot for 180ºF for dark meat in the future. ^_^

The other thing I learned is that I need to be lighter on the rub application when it comes to chicken. I put the rub on the chicken like I would for pork ribs. As far a chicken goes, there can be too much of a good thing. The meat was terrific, but the skin was too salty.

• Like 2

Wilbur - wonderful cook!  I'm slowly becoming a real fan of chicken and this chicken cook is stunning.  That this is done to perfection makes me wanna see if I can do half as well this evening.  You set a very high bar indeed!  Kudos, kudos, kudos to you my Friend!  I'm off to get some chicken.

Joking smokers, Wilbur! (I'll spare everyone more lyric quotes from I am the Walrus!)

I've always maintained that kamado style cookers make the juiciest chicken of any grill out there and as we all know, the KK is the top of the line in kamado cookers, so we'd expect nothing less than the juiciest chicken. I literally think it's impossible to overcook chicken on a KK, unless you tossed it directly into the charcoal basket and burned it up!!

Edited by tony b
  • Like 1