tony b

SUCCESS!! First Rotisserie Cook

I finally had the time to try a rotisserie cook after all the trials and tribulations of getting this thing to work right! Had to do a whole chicken. Injected with Butcher's BBQ Rotisserie Chicken marinade and rubbed the skin with baking powder and kosher salt and let rest uncovered in the fridge overnight. Just before going on the KK, I brushed on some oil and dusted the outside all over with Yardbird rub. Into the rotisserie basket and onto the KK, preheated to 300F (final target was 350F for the 1st hour and 400F for the last 30 minutes or until done). Smoking pot with one chunk of pecan and two chunks of peach wood. 

001.jpg

002.jpg

Just about done.

003.jpg

I noticed a lot of smoke in the grill. When I checked, I saw that I had leaks around the lid of the smoker pot. Never have had that happen before. No harm, no foul in my book. 

Done. Had been on the KK for about 1 hour and a half. Breast was 155F IT, legs were at 175F. Let rest for about 10 minutes while I finished up the sides. 

005.jpg

Plated with some cheese risotto and sauteed yellow squash, zucchini and mushrooms. 

007.jpg

Have to say that it was one of the best chickens that I've ever done. Seriously tasty. Skin wasn't quite as crispy as I wanted, but that's a tweak for next time. Maybe a tad more time on the KK at the higher temp. 

• Like 3

Ed, it could be that your roti will run perfectly. Mine ran in the correct direction but the motor had to be mounted upside down for the shaft holes to match. Last week I had the carpenter grind about 1/4 inch off the bottom of the motor brackets and now it fits perfectly. I'd suggest you do a dry run. :) 

• Like 1

@_Ed_ - Take MacKenzie's advice and set everything up cold and run it for about 15 minutes with some weight (at least a couple of pounds) in the basket. I used a 3# sack of onions. You'll know right away if things are going to go south on you. Depending on what issues you may have (hopefully none!), the fixes can be as simple as swapping the shafts on the rotisserie basket so they don't unscrew. Yes, there's a Left/Right to the threads. If the motor shaft unscrews, you might have to put some blue LockTite on the threads to get them to hold. Last alternative, is to reverse the spin on your motor. I posted the instructions on how to do that in the Maintenance thread of the Forum. 

Good Luck. Let us know how it worked out.

• Like 3

Nice job Tony!    Just a FWIW I like to, when I want to slow down the heat effect for whatever I'm cooking on the roti, use the basket splitter rotated 90º so the divider/splitter runs parallel to the roti.   Just another 'tool in the tool shed'.

Edited by dstr8

Thanks all! It was a very tasty bird indeed. Ate one of the leftover breast pieces last night on top of my dinner salad after golf. (Too tired to cook.)

I'll try one with the basket splitter down the road. I'll also do one with Charles' infrared shield. As a first-out-of-the-shoot cook, I wanted to do this one as straight-up as I could. 

• Like 2

@_Ed_ - Take MacKenzie's advice and set everything up cold and run it for about 15 minutes with some weight (at least a couple of pounds) in the basket. I used a 3# sack of onions. You'll know right away if things are going to go south on you. Depending on what issues you may have (hopefully none!), the fixes can be as simple as swapping the shafts on the rotisserie basket so they don't unscrew. Yes, there's a Left/Right to the threads. If the motor shaft unscrews, you might have to put some blue LockTite on the threads to get them to hold. Last alternative, is to reverse the spin on your motor. I posted the instructions on how to do that in the Maintenance thread of the Forum. 

Good Luck. Let us know how it worked out.

Are these rotisseries not plug and play I've not heard a bad thing about the komodo but what's up with the rotisserie

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill♨

Are these rotisseries not plug and play I've not heard a bad thing about the komodo but what's up with the rotisserie

Basically yes but things screw together then you spin in the opposite direction of one of the screw in connections so it wants to unscrew. Happened to me one time, I used blue locktite and wrenched it together as tight as I could. Hasn't happened since.

Dennis has now come up with improved parts that go together with a cotter pin to permanently solve the problem. There is a thread on here showing the new improved parts.

Reef's Bistro

• Like 1

Historically, it's been the only troublesome item on the KK. A lot of it had to do with the motor supplier changing things, so the motor bracket's would fit anymore, the shaft length was off, etc. Dennis has compensated over the years and is finally gotten most of the issues fixed by modifying things on his end - like the new adjustable mounting bracket for the motor and adjustable motor shafts. The cotter pins are should be the final fix.

I solved my un-screwing problems by using Loctite on the motor shaft, once I got the adjustment correct, reversing the motor spin, and figuring out the left/right configuration on the basket shafts. I've label the basket with permanent marker - "spring" and "motor," so I know which shaft goes in which end. 

• Like 2

OK cheers I can see how this occurred with the motor manufacturer if it's just a bit of locktite that's no worries .I was about to cancel the rotisserie if it was going to be a drama .that would of been a sad day but I will get it and sort it out

Definitely don't cancel. Not that big of a deal.

Reef's Bistro

• Like 1

Definitely don't cancel. Not that big of a deal.

Reef's Bistro

Na I won't just my initial thought though really don't want to buy something that should be plug and play and have to re engineer a motor to make it work does not make sense to me but thanks for the reassurance