KevinD

First Cook On Pele

My first cook is underway though a couple of hours late...

Last night for my burn-in I used some old lump charcoal that I had left over from who knows when - ugh, what a mess as it left a ton of ash that I had to clean out today before I could light a new fire for my first cook. While I was cleaning out the ash I received some Fogo charcoal I had ordered so I used some of that as starter for Coco-char that I'm using as the main fuel for my cook. As promised by others it took a while for the Coco-char to catch and burn, but now I am approaching my desired cook temperature. I'm hoping that my decision to forgo the preferred hour-long heat soak does not hurt me since I decided to add my ribs now, with a couple of chunks of cherry wood for my flavoring agent. I am very closely watching the temperature  to make sure it stabilizes and holds at 250° for what I expect to be a 5-6 hour cook. I might expect a little bit of a shorter cook if I had allowed the normal heat soak to occur before putting on the ribs  – we shall see! 

image.jpeg

Edited by KevinD
  • Like 1

I'm definitely going to make the first check at three hours to "feel" them; the question is whether to wrap for the remainder of the cook, however long that ends up being?   I think I will not wrap them since this is my first attempt on the KK and from there, I will make my decision for future cooks of ribs.   Since these are just for me today, I'll deal with the results now matter what they are! 

The scent of the ribs and smoke on the air is already enough to make me crazy! :-)

Exactly what Rob said, this cook will be more moist than you are used to. :) I do not wrap mine but we'll see what you think in a few hours.:) You must be having fun :drinkers:

Do you know that Pele is on Instagram, the whole world is watching. :)

Edited by MacKenzie

Here's the classic "bend test" to see if your ribs are done. Pick up the ribs with a pair of tongs about 1/3 of the way from one end. Lightly bounce the ribs in the tongs and see if the meat is just beginning to pull away from the bones.

bend_test.jpg

• Like 2

To borrow a line from Colonel Sanders – Finger lickin' good! And as was noted, they were extremely meaty, succulent even.   I am not a fan of barbecue sauce so I tend to be a dry rub fan but for this cook I did use a mix of a couple of sauces that I cut with a little bit of water and cider vinegar, for a single baste taking me through the final cook time.

Light-years beyond a popular barbecue chain out here named Lucille's, that I swear, serves ribs from anorexic pigs!   I didn't know that such creatures existed!  Of course the answer is whomever their supplier is, cuts so close to the bone as to leave nothing.   When they come to the table, not only do they look like they come from an anorexic pig, they look desiccated too... It has been quite some time since I have been there and every time I pass by the place, it is absolutely mobbed with people – I just don't understand how it can be so...

Edited by KevinD

7 minutes ago, bosco said:

looks like some killer grub to me.

How did it compare to cooks on other cookers?

7 minutes ago, bosco said:

looks like some killer grub to me.

How did it compare to cooks on other cookers?

Very tender & moist and as was discussed in the thread, I bypassed wrapping in foil during the during the cook. I did let them rest about a half hour under a tent for foil  before slicing them up to plate.