Pequod

How Many, What Size, Where/How to Deploy?

@ColoradoRick -  I went from TheBeast, a KK BB 32, to Beauty!, a 19 TT.  I understand your thoughts precisely.  Both of my KKs get quite a workout  week in and week out.  I'm a bachelor and find that when it's just me for dinner, I'll fire up up my 19, run inside to  prep dinner, and in short order, dinner in on the grates.  

On my 19 I'll cook steaks, burgers, brats, dawgs, pizza, desserts, etc.  The only thing I can't cook on the 19 are really big cooks, i.e. big briskets, multiple racks of ribs, stuff like that.  Other than that limitation due to its size, I'm convinced that the 19 anything.  I've yet to cook a butt on the 19, but it can be done.

Another advantage of a second KK is the ability to do multiple cooks.  I will do my large cooks on TheNeast, my 32 and then cook sides on Beauty! the 19.  When I'm doing a brisket and ribs low-n-slow at 225° and I want to do a side of Mac-n-cheese at 350° then a cobbler at 350° for dessert, it's very easy to stage cooks with a couple of KKs.  

So, a larger and then smaller KK Makes quite a lot of sense to my mind.  All the best in deciding what size to pair with your 22.

• Like 1

I have a 19" and a 16.5" I cook mainly for 2 or 3 people and use the 16.5" more than the 19" especially on weeknights. Check out any of my cook threads and the majority is on the 16.5".

It's a fully capable KK and works great for quick protein cooks on the fly.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks for the quick replies

@bosco, lol, Sell?... Not at this point in my life. The ONLY reason I could see that happening is if I have to move, and even then I would do my damnedest to figure out a way to move it. I really have no intention of ever ridding myself of this thing. In terms of paper visuals, the 21" is small by comparison to its brethren, but I can say first hand that this thing is by no means small or light. I think it comes in at about 550lbs or there about.

I hope ckreef chimes in on the use of the 16". (HA!, we must have posted almost simultaneously) Thanks.

@CeramicChef, those are right in line with my thoughts. The cleanup really is something I need to think about so my initial thoughts were that the 19" might be a tad close in terms of size to the 21" regarding grate sizes, and the depth of char to height of grill grate.  I'll actually have to read about that. I think that I could still use my rib racks if I get a hightop 16.

Something I have noticed post purchase is that I have allot of pieces that I need to find a storage place for. I seem to have 2 or 3 stacks going when not hidden inside the KK itself and sometimes they are greasy. Laying them on the patio or on top of something often gets me in trouble.  For cleaning the  21" parts, sink size and counter top space for drying is not ideal as my wife reminds me of often.  So a smaller cleanup profile for week night grilling will be welcome.

--
Rick

Edited by ColoradoRick
answered question
  • Like 2

Hey Rick thanks for the insight I was looking at a 19 I have a KJ 18 and Jr . there are only two of us at my place and the 18 does us fine even when friends come around I impravise but decided on the 23 for the extra space if I need it I will still keep the 18 and Jr for now the Jr is great for two so I guess the 16.5 would be even better .looks like I'm going to have to make a home for the grates I'm going to have

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill♨

@Aussie Ora, By no means am I trying to talk anyone out of a larger KK. They are awesome! I could have easily gone with a 23 and be very happy. I will say though that I am totally stoked about my 21 and use if often, just not often enough on week nights.

This thread just sort of got me thinking as I have downsized my home recently. I have purged so much stuff that it is almost embarrassing, and still need to get rid of more. I have a smaller footprint compared to my last place and certainly am missing the out of doors areas to put things, if only I could create a big fish cleaning like area with a sink would be great for instance.

So in the spirit of getting smaller as I move though life, I have started to try and think of ways to simplify everything.  That of course is another story, lol.

• Like 1

As much as I admire the full bosco, it's going to be Plan B. We're going to start my KK Kollection with a 23. Would appreciate your comments and feedback on the accessories. I'm thinking:

• Splitter basket
  • Extra charcoal basket
  • Rotisserie cradle with 6" reducer
  • Double bottom drip pan
  • Ultimate baking stone
  • Sunbrella cover
  • Teak side tables (or should I go with stainless inlay, or should I go with a left side teak cabinet?)
  • Grate grabbers
  • Charcoal

What am I missing or including that isn't useful?

Thoughts on the side tables (or cabinet)?

Charcoal? Everybody seems to rave about the coco char. What about the coffee char?

• Like 1

@HalfSmoke - looks like a plan.  The 23 is a wonderful cooker and you won't be disappointed at all.  If the 23 doesn't come standard with a heat deflector, you'll want to get that as well.  

I'm not much for stainless stell covering my teak side tables.  I've had too much stainless in my life and it requires constant care to fit my OCD tastes.  The teak cabinet may be just the thing.  

I can't speak to the coffee char, but the Coconut Char is outstanding.  Best ever for low-n-slow cooks.  Period.  I ordered two baskets  … one for regular lump (I use FOGO) and one for the Coconut char.  They are so easy to swap out its ridiculous.  

The baking stone is a must have if you plan on doing pizza, breads, desserts, etc. in the 23. 

I have the grate grabbers, but mostly use my Welder's  Gauntlettes.  If a grate is REALLY hot, then I use the grabbers.

Youre gonna love that 23.  They're a great cooker.

That sounds like a great list, the only thing I can't comment on is the side tables. My KK fits into a ready made space with counters on both sides. You might want to consider the new smoking tool and the new baking steel/griddle. The baking stone is fantastic for baking bread and pies ets. and a loaded pizza but the steel will be even better of this crust pizzas and smash burgers. :twocents::) 

• Like 1

Hadn't seen the baking steel on the accessory list, but will ask Dennis about it. 

Anyone have experience with the cold-smoker yet? My usual cold-smoking "rig" is an Amazen Tube Smoker tossed below a deflector. Cheap, but effective.

I definitely admire the cabinets and could use a larger work surface where this will be deployed.

@HalfSmoke - if I remember correctly, the baking steel is in development.  Someone please correct me ifmim wrong.

As for using the TubeSmoker in a KK during a cook, don't hold your breath.  They won't stay lit as the airflow is too low.  I've spoken several times to the owners of the Amazen Tube Smoker and both he and his wife really recommend against the TuneSmoker in any kamado application.  Honest folks.  About the only way I use my TubeSmoker is during the winter to lay some smoke on cheese.  I make certain to keep temps below about 85°F so the cheese doesn't oil too much or melt.  Even then I have to keep the bottom vent wide open.

Im betting that the KK Smoke machine will be ideal in every application.  

• Like 1

Awesome buddy you will love it.  I have the stainless insert and prefer it. It is more practical than all wood in my opinion.  

I would hold off on the cabinet until you decide on what you are doing with the second KK.  

Tiny fish ordered a 23" and then on second order he made the cabinet to fit his second KK.   If you are confident that you will be adding a second KK in the future I would order the cabinet so that it will accommodate your next KK.  

So if it were me ordering knowing what you wanted, I would get a 23" KK with the left side teak side table and the cabinet designed to house both the 23 on left and 32 on the right.  

Then when you are ready you can order the 32 and right side table for the 32.  

Your accessories look solid.  Baking stone is a must they are wonderful.  

As for CC, the deflector stone is included in the grill cost 

• Like 1

Good thoughts on the cabinet and side tables. Was noodling through exactly that. I know there will be a second KK, but not 100% sure what size that will be (leaning 32), so thinking I will defer on cabinet and go with left teak side table only for now. My guess is #2 will happen in Spring 2017.