Pequod

First KK Low n Slow

Sorta low n slow. I like to do my briskets at 275. Lots of firsts: first use of coco char, smoke pot, and using the double bottom drip pan as both heat deflector and to attempt to capture some drippings. 

Coco char:

image.jpeg

Running up to temp. I've been using my Maverick lately to measure grate temps and compare with the dome therm. Dome therm is usually close enough, so I'll not likely use the Mav for grate temps much anymore 

image.jpeg

Brisket rubbed up with Meat Church Holy Cow. 

image.jpeg

I don't monitor temp on my briskets, so will let it ride for four hours then check the bark. Stay tuned. 

I have considered a pellet grill or an offset for a more true flavour.  But I have to say that the smoking pot has been absolutely awesome.   

It produces thin blue smoke so well that I think I am good.  Robert recommended that I add a second pot so that I have two going with my 32".  That could be a game changer!!

I got to the point with my insulated cabinet that I felt I was getting close to that Texas offset smoked flavor (frequent work trips to Texas keep my brisket palate calibrated), but would never get all the way there - an 80% solution. Good enough. 

I keep checking my KK, expecting I have to tweak something, but there it is pegged right on 275 and pumping out thin blue smoke. Don't have to refill the water pan, add more fuel or chunks. It's boring! Lol. 

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, bosco said:

I have considered a pellet grill or an offset for a more true flavour.  But I have to say that the smoking pot has been absolutely awesome.   

It produces thin blue smoke so well that I think I am good.  Robert recommended that I add a second pot so that I have two going with my 32".  That could be a game changer!!

I've had both and neither has the flavor of the kk when I use the coffee char. I found the pellet smoker to be slightly lacking actually.

• Like 1