ckreef

Christmas Protein

Today I procured my Christmas Protein. It's an 18 lb Publix GreenWise Angus Beef ribeye primal cut. My idea is to leave it in the cryopac until Christmas. At that time I'll cut an end off and cook for Christmas. The remainder I'll put in my dry ageing refrigerator for a spell. 

GWR.jpg

• Like 1

So today I took it out of the cryopac and cut it into 2 chunks.  The 4 bone piece on the left will be dry aged until early February. The 3 bone chunk will be for Christmas. (excuse the slightly out of focus pictures) 

C16a.jpg

For the Christmas chunk I cut off the bones. Trimmed it up then tied it into a nice round bundle. 

C16b.jpg

The Christmas chunk got sprinkled with kosher salt then they both went in the dry ageing refrigerator. 

C16c.jpg

I mixed  up a Sangria for tomorrow. I figured it was something I could drink on all day while cooking without totally losing my mind. 

C16d.jpg

In the refrigerator it goes until  tomorrow. Of course I had to sample a glass just to make sure I got it right - LOL 

C16e.jpg

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Meat looks really good, how did the sangria taste?

The sample tasted good. It'll be better tomorrow after it's had some time to marinate itself. It'll be nice and cold by then too. Most recipes call for sugar. I didn't use any since I used sprite instead of club soda. I have a feeling Mrs skreef will want me to add some sugar tomorrow. 

34 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

Good luck with thatemoji23.png

Fingers crossed. I've never butchered and cooked a roast like this. Makes total sense to my brain. Should be good as long as I don't over cook it. 

Going to reverse sear it. Low-n-slow until 115*-120*. After resting a super hot/fast sear. We all like md rare and if I don't nail it we all would rather I error on the rare side. 

Edited by ckreef

24 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

Glad you posted the end of the story. The roast looks lovely edge to edge and all the sides look great also.emoji4.pngemoji4.pngemoji4.png

TY MacKenzie - and there was enough leftover to cut 3 x 1" ribeye steaks tomorrow. Give them a super hot/fast sear and they'll still be md to md rare.