dstr8

Not coming between us ...

I decided to try the pink paper wrap trick 2/3 of the way through the roast/smoke (pecan chips).   The baby backs came from Trader Joes where I normally wouldn't buy meat but the last time I made these the pork was super flavorful; luck of the draw.  

These, however, were very mild without any real "pork" flavor; boring in other words despite the herb crust and pecan smoke.   But its all about what they eat and I'm sure whomever raises these for TJ's can't afford anything special on the feed-front.   

The KK and I did our parts but ...  next time I'll return to my favorite and tried & true:  Spare ribs.   Or hop over the hill to Sacramento and get acorn or pumpkin finished pork.

Edited by dstr8

Jeff:  The herb rub/crust is an old standby:   Fresh rosemary out of the neighbor's yard, fresh sage & parsley, a ton o'garlic, smoked habanero, S&P and EVO; all pounded into submission via my mortar & pestle.   

The blackberry & ginger BBQ sauce is from an old Sunset Magazine:   All the same suspects including ketchup, brown sugar, maple sugar, honey, black berries and a considerable amount of fresh grated ginger.   

• Like 2

On 1/15/2017 at 4:37 PM, ckreef said:

Not coming between me, it's about 70* outside at the moment. Going to fire up the Yakatori grill within the hour. (sorry couldn't stop myself - LOL) 

Bastard! The cover on my KK is still one big sheet of ice. But, we might actually hit 50F by the end of this week. You KNOW I'm firing up the KK then!

• Like 2

I had the fortune/misfortune (long story :D) of living in Monterey for almost 2-years.   I've lived all my life in 4-season climates and never thought I'd be a coastal lover but oh boy do I hate summer and winter now (back in 4-season Reno) :D.    And miss the Central Coast! 

But I still love cooking on my KK ... actually much more so in our winter than our hot hot summers!

Edited by dstr8