Pascalpro

Diavola perfection on the KK

Just an observation. The baking stone you used is very dense, a bit too hot for the pizza and temp you were cooking. The bottom was already browning before the top was cooked. For this stone, you might want to try using a heat deflector between it and the charcoal to lower the baking stone's temp. One on shot, you can see the cheese has not flattened out yet the edges are already browning and the dough on top far from browning. 
First pie is always the guinea pig.. see what happens and adjust from there.  Top cooks/browns too fast, reduce temps. Crust to fast, reduce stone temp or raise grill temp.
KK's seem to need less heat than people think. Too many articles talk bout 800-1000º pies. This would produce charred KK Pies for sure. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just an observation. The baking stone you used is very dense, a bit too hot for the pizza and temp you were cooking. The bottom was already browning before the top was cooked. For this stone, you might want to try using a heat deflector between it and the charcoal to lower the baking stone's temp. One on shot, you can see the cheese has not flattened out yet the edges are already browning and the dough on top far from browning.  First pie is always the guinea pig.. see what happens and adjust from there.  Top cooks/browns too fast, reduce temps. Crust to fast, reduce stone temp or raise grill temp.

KK's seem to need less heat than people think. Too many articles talk bout 800-1000º pies. This would produce charred KK Pies for sure. 

Thanks for the feedback Dennis ! I preheated the pie before I actually put the topping so the top cooks just lightly, I like the sauce to be almost raw, I use san marzanno tomatoes, the mozzarella di buffala and the salame picante as well as the basil they are all ingredients that don't need too much heat to release flavour. My temp was at 550-600.

I will try the heat deflector way next pie to compare! Your probably right!

Btw: gimme a call or email me, my inlaws want the 19 inch KK. I 've sent you an email.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback Dennis ! I preheated the pie before I actually put the topping so the top cooks just lightly, I like the sauce to be almost raw, I use san marzanno tomatoes, the mozzarella di buffala and the salame picante as well as the basil they are all ingredients that don't need too much heat to release flavour. I will try your way with the deflector with my next tuna or regular pie to compare!

Btw: gimme a call or email me, my inlaws want the 19 inch KK. I 've sent you an email.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Ok well that explains what I was seeing.. I'm obviously not the pizza chef you are. Sounds great, and would give you the best of both worlds, crispy below and some chewiness on top. That's the beauty of baking so many ways to skin the cat..
I've actually only studied how the density of stone effects the baking.. I've have played with different stones densities and was commenting from the stone's perspective.

• Like 1