Pequod

Rockfish with Roasted Poblano Vinaigrette & Yellow Pepper Grits

Our local farmer’s market features a vendor who brings us the best of the Chesapeake. This week he had enormous Rockfish filets, so we’re making a recipe from Bobby Flay’s Mesa Grill cookbook.

Like many Flay recipes, we start by charring and roasting peppers. This time it’s yellow peppers and poblanos, hence the title of this thread.

BD150943-1AB8-4215-AFC2-8473145D0B6D.thumb.jpeg.c30c8e79bf7058cbdc711f23e1faffd4.jpeg

The peppers are being converted into the subject accompaniments. Meanwhile, grilling corn whilst cooking the humongous rockfish filets on the Baking Steel griddle.

D03B5ED3-1C63-4673-B49C-4CD4F466D9F3.thumb.jpeg.7d5f6e111ce1f888d67a0f3db60201f5.jpeg

Just look at these beauties.

18BF139E-5AD2-4D94-9387-54C6AD67A6DE.thumb.jpeg.207a3e732e02b60bb7ca4cdd30febac2.jpeg

On the serving platter with the grits and poblano vinaigrette.

D4F7C401-97FD-42BA-A3F4-8DC0D4482C82.thumb.jpeg.110f258aec7a3740862550801e126f12.jpeg

Like many Flay recipes, big flavors and great use of Southwestern flavors. Home run!

• Like 6

Bonefish Grill is awesome! But, the closest one to me is 150 miles. 

My best use of Rockfish to date was in Bouillabaisse, I've also used it in Cioppino. Unfortunately, here in Iowa, we don't see it very often. 

What Flay cookbook did this come out of? I'm intrigued by the grits - they look decadent!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tony b said:

Bonefish Grill is awesome! But, the closest one to me is 150 miles. 

My best use of Rockfish to date was in Bouillabaisse, I've also used it in Cioppino. Unfortunately, here in Iowa, we don't see it very often. 

What Flay cookbook did this come out of? I'm intrigued by the grits - they look decadent!

This was from the Mesa Grill book. Interesting thing about the grits is that they were made using canned hominy drained, rinsed, then coarsely chopped in the food processor. They were really fantastic grits.

• Like 1

I have that cookbook, so I'll have to look it up. I'm shocked as I'm not normally a fan of canned hominy - not the same as stone ground grits!

My cooking muse just whispered in my ear - cook stone ground grits in the Donabe rice pot! I'm now inspired to try it! 

11 hours ago, tony b said:

I have that cookbook, so I'll have to look it up. I'm shocked as I'm not normally a fan of canned hominy - not the same as stone ground grits!

My cooking muse just whispered in my ear - cook stone ground grits in the Donabe rice pot! I'm now inspired to try it! 

Don’t see any reason you couldn’t do this with stone ground grits. Bobby’s purpose here is to leave the hominy chunky - only pulse it 5 times in the food processor - so as to achieve that particular texture. But unless you’re a texture Nazi, stone ground grits (my preference as well) would be excellent here. 

12 hours ago, Pequod said:

This was from the Mesa Grill book. Interesting thing about the grits is that they were made using canned hominy drained, rinsed, then coarsely chopped in the food processor. They were really fantastic grits.

That is fascinating. What did you add to them for creamyness, etc.?. Looking at the picture, you'd swear they were traditional grits! I'm interested in that. 

1 hour ago, amusedtodeath said:

That is fascinating. What did you add to them for creamyness, etc.?. Looking at the picture, you'd swear they were traditional grits! I'm interested in that. 

There’s heavy cream and cheese in there too, not to mention two puréed yellow peppers. The recipe is online here: https://canadianfamily.ca/recipe/striped-sea-bass-with-roasted-poblano-vinaigrette/

Edited by Pequod
  • Thanks 1