RandyS

First Brisket

Planning to cook my first beef brisket Friday night. I have a 12 # USDA Prime in the refrigerator now. Planning to salt it tomorrow night and put it on the BB32 Friday after a dry rub and beef broth injection. I'll wrap it around 150 - 155 degrees and hope to take it off late Saturday morning. I am making a sauce to serve with it. We'll see how it goes.

I don't seem to learn. I am cooking it for my wife's birthday:smt008 with friends coming over and no real backup, :shock: although so far the experimentation for critical events has gone rather well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If you’re going to wrap, 150°-155° is kinda early. Are you using foil? If you want bark, (I love bark), you really shouldn’t wrap until closer to 165°-170°. Wrapping also shortens cook time. I’m not trying to mess with your plan, but you have a prime brisket on a kk, have you considered no wrap? Just cook it straight through until it jiggles, roughly 200°.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

If you put the brisket on before you go to bed, you’ll likely be past wrapping point by the time you get up. Temperature rise in a large protein cook isn’t linear, you’ll get to the stall point much more quickly than you think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And so it begins. I put the brisket on a little while ago after a rub and injection. I think I will wrap it at 160 F, whenever that is, then return it to KK with a target temp of about 203, or sooner if it jiggles. Hopefully it will be tasty and tender. I appreciate all the help. 

I also put a couple of Boston Butts on with it because......  Wait, does there have to be a reason?

First Brisket.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I am very pleased to report a rousing success all around. I wrapped the brisket about 1 am when it hit 160 F, and pulled it off the KK at 203 F around 7 am. It went faster than I expected (about 11 hours at grill temp 215 F overnight) but that was good. I wrapped it in a towel and placed it in a warm cooler. We ate it for lunch, with a homemade Texas style sauce on the side, with fresh fruit (plums and tangerines) and angel hair coleslaw. It was delicious, juicy, and tender. There was almost no bark, and I like bark, but there were also no overdone areas. It was so tender we cut it with a fork. No one at the table used a knife. My son in law said it was better than the brisket he had at bbq joints in Alabama and Texas. Even our 4 year old granddaughter cleared her plate.

I also made a cake for Carla's birthday - fudge cake with chocolate butter cream frosting.

The pork was done about 3 pm. I pulled one butt for freezing in bags, and we ate the other for supper, along with more of the brisket, which was still juicy and tender.

Great day, thanks for all the help and encouragement.

First Brisket 2.jpg

Birthday Cake.jpg

Pulled Pork.jpg

• Like 5